Page 1 / 2
  RSS

mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
13/12/2020 9:25 pm  

@mark737

A question about the procedure tomorrow: Are the electors of the Electoral College subject to an imperative mandate or can they vote freely according to their conscience?

This topic was modified 3 years ago by mvc

wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
14/12/2020 9:58 am  

although i am not mark 737  see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 10:43 am  

@wesemael

Thanks, but seems Wikipedia is not up to date on this topic, something has changed in the last few years, but there are contradicting reports.

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
14/12/2020 11:39 am  

quite up to date

As of 2020, 33 states and the District of Columbia have laws that require electors to vote for the candidates for whom they pledged to vote, though in half of these jurisdictions there is no enforcement mechanism. In 14 states, votes contrary to the pledge are voided and the respective electors are replaced, and in two of these states they may also be fined. Three other states impose a penalty on faithless electors but still count their votes as cast.[1]

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 11:46 am  

Well, "FairVote" is only one of several contradicting reports.

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
14/12/2020 12:04 pm  

would you consider The national Archive to be a solid or independent/trustworthy source? and therefore trancend contradicting reports? if so

https://www.archives.gov/electoral-college/electors#selection

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 12:24 pm  

Thanks. Conclusion, the individual states handle it very differently.

summary-electoral-college-laws-Oct20.pdf (nass.org)

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 3:46 pm  

@mvc  Good morning.  Sorry, I was offline this weekend.  The electors are chosen by the party that wins the popular vote for each state.  So, the Republicans choose electors for Texas and the Democrats choose for Pennsylvania, and so on.  So the chances that a Democrat elector would vote for Trump, as some states still allow, is close to zero.    There have been cases in the past where electors went rogue and cast their vote for someone else to make a statement.  For example: one Hawaiian elector cast their vote for Bernie instead of Hillary in 2016.       

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 3:54 pm  

@mark737

Good morning Mark, thanks, I've found it out by now. So we don't really have to worry about a surprise tonight. Or will the results come later?

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 4:39 pm  

What we need to worry most about is that 70 million Americans thought that 4 more years of divisive, seditious, and relentless horseshit would somehow be desirable.

As seen on a bumper sticker yesterday: OMG GOP WTF

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 5:02 pm  

@tktoo2

You can also see it positively, you have around 330 million inhabitants, of which around 230 million should theoretically vote, and Trump only received 70 million votes, so around 30%. 

30%, that is ridiculous. 😎 

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 5:18 pm  

@mvc, Thank you. I agree that it's important to at least try to see things from different perspectives. But I'm more of an if-only-one-half-of-the-glass-is-full-then-the-other-half-must-be-empty kind of guy.

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 5:32 pm  

@tktoo2

If I remember well, you prefer a glass of Jack Daniels, and as a sophisticated whiskey drinker you fill the glass halfway at most, for aesthetic reasons. Right? 🥃 🥂

(Hope you don't drink from the bottle!)

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 9:12 pm  

@mvc, You do remember well but, to be perfectly honest, my bourbon days are far in the past though I sometimes pretend to recall them fondly. It's been on to scotch whisky for the last 30 or so years for which I place half of the blame squarely upon my father-in-law's shoulders. Turns out we're both enablers, you see.

In keeping with full disclosure, I may or may not have pulled the corks from a bottle or two of Jack Daniels with my teeth and spit them overboard. At least I can't, in good conscience, deny doing so. Jack Daniels does not cater to sophisticates of any sort. If our current political situation doesn't improve soon, I may have to switch back...

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2020 9:26 pm  

@tktoo2

The political situation is changing right now. Current status: 215 : 191

Edit: Yeah, he made it!

Current status 240, and California is still pending! Where is my bottle of champagne! 🥂

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register