Design Addict

Cart

Help with determini...

Help with determining age of Eames 670  

RSS

RossR
(@sydneyply)
02/07/2020 8:21 am  

I'm looking at buying an Eames 670.  Trying to determine the age.  Looking at the lounge only, no ottoman.

I'm wondering if the serial number can be used to help determine the age or location of manufacture? ID is Z 4435.  Each component has the additional marker for the piece Z S 4435 - seat, Z UB 4435 - Upper Back, Z LB 4435 Lower Back.  Serial matches on all ply components and is also present on all cushions.

Other details: 

- Rosewood shell

- 7 Ply

- round silver cushion hooks

- no label on base

- 3 screws under arms

- Vitra base (the seller says its a Herman Miller but was taken to Europe and the base must have been changed.  I'm not confident that is correct.

- Under cushions there are black circular holders on the strings through to the cushion buttons.  there is no tape over the black inner buttons.

- Rosewood veneer on the inside of the ply shells

Thanks 🙂

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
02/07/2020 1:34 pm  

There were a few European manufacturers licensed by Herman Miller to produce Eames lounge sets in the early days. If yours has the 'Vitra-style' base, I'd imagine your chair likely originated with one of them. I haven't seen US-made editions with anything but a 3-digit code stamped into the insides of their panels. One clue might be the number of attachment points on the aluminum  bars that support the upper back panel. I believe ICF versions have four and Vitra have three.

ReplyQuote
RossR
(@sydneyply)
03/07/2020 12:13 am  

Thanks tktoo2.

The back mounts have three attachment points.  That points toward Vitra.  I had read elsewhere that Vitra didn't have veneer on the inner side of the shells, but maybe that was something that changed at some point?

I think the ID stamp is still the best chance of a more certain match.  Hoping someone here with European manufactured chairs could look and see the format of the these manufacture markers on there's.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
03/07/2020 2:58 pm  

Sorry I can't help. We see few European examples here in the US. Maybe send inquiry with photos and particulars to Graham Mancha?

http://www.mancha.co.uk/

ReplyQuote
RossR
(@sydneyply)
03/07/2020 11:04 pm  

Quite the contrary, that is very helpful.  Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
RossR
(@sydneyply)
05/07/2020 2:52 am  

For the sake of completeness updating with latest status.  I've traded a few messages and pics with Graeme and he says the chair i'm looking at has neither an American nor European base.  That leaves open options of either a copy, albeit an old and very well made one, or manufactured under license outside US or Europe.  I have now also found this https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/20649/&source=gmail&ust=1593945157513000&usg=AFQjCNFeEJiVS3YobYiYRDtdmasPsW1sN Q"> https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/20649/ which appears to confirm that Herman Miller did produce in Australia. I'm now following that as a lead.  The National Gallery Victoria pics match the base in my pics.  I'l see where that leads...

1593910377-Eames-670-Complete-Pic.jpg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
05/07/2020 9:09 pm  

Interesting. I guess I remember, vaguely, reading similar perhaps right here on DA. Glad to hear that Graham was nice enough to offer his opinion, too. If your username was meant to be a clue as to your whereabouts, Australian production certainly makes perfect sense. I must be slowing down...

Thx for update. The chair appears authentic and in remarkably good condition to me. Good luck hunting down a matching otto! ;^)

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register