Cart

Help to ID what See...

Help to ID what Seems to be Mis-attributed Ascona Chair on Google  

RSS

He-Man
(@he-manunbanned)
Eminent Member
22/05/2021 6:30 pm  

I found this chair and it’s labeled from the manufacturer, Landes.

I can only find one other example online in this collection:

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/18623039/images/

But I think that’s mis-labeled as the Ascona chair seems to have more visual hits on Google with this:

?width=768

Thoughts or help? Maybe it was redesigned and labeled as a revamped Ascona Chair as such?

This topic was modified 3 years ago 3 times by He-Man

mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
23/05/2021 8:37 pm  

I think it's more likely that your chair is from a different Landes collection and Cooper Hewitt mislabeled their chair and ottoman.  But who knows, there is very little info online about Landes, so it's possible all of 1stDibs and other seller descriptions are incorrect.   I assume you saw that the UCLA Young Research Library has a collection of Landes portfolios containing black and white and color images documenting furniture designs, including those by Heinz Meier and the Ascona collection.  It looks like you can request images from the collection, but I imagine that's going to take weeks or months.  Here's the link:

https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c81j9j0c/entire_text/

On a side note, I noticed many sellers were attributing the Landes chairs and sofas (the ones commonly listed as Ascona by Heinz Meier) to Robert Haussmann for Stendig.  I think because of their similarity to this chair, which is commonly attributed to Haussmann.  And who knows if this attribution is correct - I didn't see any with tags or catalog photos.   

1621795042-Haus.jpg

He-Man and tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
He-Man
(@he-manunbanned)
Eminent Member
23/05/2021 10:43 pm  

Yeah, I saw the UCLA archive and sent a request but Covid complicates things a bit. I can wait it out until that clears up. I appreciate the input though and having someone else agree with me that it's probably mis-attributed due to lack of many other samples to compare it to. Hopefully once I can get access to the archives, I will bring that info here for reference for future inquiries too. It's a lovely chair regardless of who its design is attributed to.

ReplyQuote
acadia-mm
(@acadia-miami)
10/03/2022 2:36 am  

So I recently got a set of the Ascona chairs that are widely misattributed to Robert Haussman online. I was able to dig up some info by searching thru old interior magazine archives. 

It seems your initial hunch about the chair being revamped was correct...

I found 2 magazine clippings, one from a 1975 issue of Interiors that shows the version you found and the one in Cooper Hewitt's collection. The other clipping is from a 1976 issue of House and Home that shows the version that is misattributed to Haussmann.

1646876166-ascona.jpg

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register