Design Addict

Cart

Florence Knoll loun...

Florence Knoll lounge seating - real deal?  

RSS

LeClan
(@leclan)
30/05/2021 10:52 am  

Hi all,

First post here! I've reading and learning a lot on this forum, and now have a first questions myself.

I recently bought a Florence Knoll sofa through auction from an auction house, where it was advertised as a Knoll International sofa, although there was no stamps or other identification tags. The only tag or sticker that is showing is an inventory n° tag from Sony Europe, so I believe it was once part of Sony office furniture.

However, I took some measurements and they are slightly off, which concerned me, since the hammer price was for the real deal.

The Knoll International website shows following dimensions for the 3 seat sofa;

230cm W x 82cm D x 80cm H with seat height of 47cm  - where on my sofa W and D seem to be ok (maybe 1 or 2 cm, can be measurement error), but the height is only 75cm and seat hight 44cm.

So I was wondering;

- Did Knoll International produce these sofa ever in other dimensions?

- Is it possible it is a genuine Knoll International, but that it was reupholstered and during the process the back cushions were positioned lower?

- Are there any other elements I could check to determine if it's a genuine Knoll International?

The sofa seems to be very well made, sturdy steel frame, with solid wood inner frame. 

Picture attached.

Thanks a lot already for any feedback!

1622364724-IMG_4596-copy.jpg

LeClan
(@leclan)
30/05/2021 10:52 am  

Picture of the frame.

1622364759-IMG_4627-copy.jpg

ReplyQuote
LeClan
(@leclan)
30/05/2021 10:53 am  

And the cushions - if that would help somehow.

1622364819-IMG_4628-copy.jpg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
30/05/2021 4:20 pm  

No expert here, but the sofa looks good to me. It wouldn't be a surprise that the cushions have lost some loft over time or that there would be minor discrepancies in published vs actual dimensions. I believe Knoll has always offered these made to custom specifications, too.

Is that a date hand-written on a sticker?

Have you reached out to Knoll?

ReplyQuote
LeClan
(@leclan)
31/05/2021 2:31 pm  

Thanks for your feedback tktoo2. I'm not sure what the handwriting is on the sticker. I've attached a close up - it basically shows from top to bottom: 7/10/8

I didn't reach out to Knoll yet - wasn't sure if this was something they would look into. I can give it a shot.

1622464296-IMG_4629-copy.jpg

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
31/05/2021 4:17 pm  

I like your PK22, it will complement the sofa nicely assuming you're planning on keeping both!

Kind regards,

Kyle

ReplyQuote
LeClan
(@leclan)
02/06/2021 9:51 am  

Thanks Kyle! I too think the sofa goes well with the PK22, and it's definitely a keeper. It's an early version from EKC I managed to buy a while ago.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register