Design Addict

Cart

Chair Identificatio...

Chair Identification Help - Breuer like?  

RSS

asd
 asd
(@asd)
Trusted Member
19/10/2021 9:54 pm  

Wondering if someone can help me identify the chair below. It's like Marcel Breuer and Walter Lamb had a baby. Second owner picked it up from an estate sale, located in Northern California, US. Taking a look at it this weekend, so not much in the way of detailed photos.

Not sure what to make of it, not sure how old it could even be given the materials. Thoughts?

1634673287-cescachair.jpeg

Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
19/10/2021 10:27 pm  

I think it should actually be a swing chair. Looks like a good craftsman assembled it himself. 🙂

Doesn't look much like a series production

ReplyQuote
asd
 asd
(@asd)
Trusted Member
19/10/2021 10:33 pm  

Here's a photo of the chair in its current state.

1634675621-UnknownChair.jpg

ReplyQuote
Browkin
(@browkin)
Famed Member
20/10/2021 8:45 am  

Far from being an expert. The welding spots look very rough to me. Maybe it was a once a prototype.

The frame doesn't make sense to me either. The chairs were actually designed as swing chairs. They should swing. Compare the Thonet / Breuer chair.

1634712315-DA-Breuer.jpg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
20/10/2021 3:25 pm  

It almost has to be a Frankenchair, no? I can see it with woven wicker seating surfaces (covering the rough welds?) as possibly original.

Partial creative credit to whomever put ersatz Breuer 'Cesca' panels on it, though!

I am curious about the frame material, however. Is it plated steel tubing or a non-ferrous alloy? And are those 'Domes of Silence'-style floor glides consistent with age or later additions?

ReplyQuote
asd
 asd
(@asd)
Trusted Member
20/10/2021 8:50 pm  

Ha. Fair enough. Thank you both for the feedback. Will be interesting to see the Frankenchair up close and see how many aftermarket parts were cobbled together. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register