Cart

Thoughts on these c...

Thoughts on these chairs, Erik Buch?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
30/03/2016 8:01 am  

Here are the chairs.The seller says that they "haven't found anything to identify the maker", so I assume there are no labels or stamps but have asked for more details about the chairs (awaiting an answer). Is this shape of chair common? They reminded me of some other chairs that were on kijiji recently under the name Erik Buch and look similar to some posted on 1stdibs.  They would need work so i'm not sure if they are worth it (time and or money, also where would I put eight chairs...!?), thoughts? Edited by DA: broken links removed

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/03/2016 8:41 am  

Those are Erik Buck model 49 for Oddense Maskinsnedkeri.

ReplyQuote
(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
30/03/2016 3:52 pm  

Thanks for the help Leif! I am going to make the person an offer.

ReplyQuote
vintageobssesive
(@vintageobssesive)
Trusted Member
01/04/2016 5:15 am  

Hey Ponyboy did you score the chairs? The kijiji ad has been taken down....

ReplyQuote
(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
01/04/2016 6:48 am  

I am going to look at them on Saturday, i'll report back if I do : )

ReplyQuote
(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
03/04/2016 7:36 am  

Bought them, they will need A LOT of work but it's a project!

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/04/2016 8:35 am  

Interesting! The most commonly seen version of this chair has router cut finger joints where the legs meet the rails. Yours have a butt joint with dowel pins. Better joinery in my opinion. And I notice a round hole, like for a medallion.
I had one of this version once, but it did not have a hole for a medallion. It had a heat brand Danish furniture control mark.
Any of the others marked?

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
03/04/2016 8:51 am  

I've seen two versions of this design by OD Mobler; one with screws and plugs through the legs for the front rail and back stretcher, and one without. I have not checked to see if there is always a consistent pairing between plugs and joint type, but I do know that my chairs have both plugs and finger joints.

ReplyQuote
(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
03/04/2016 9:03 am  

I did notice this where the medallion would have been in these pics?
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/seating/dining-room-chairs/set-of-six-...

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/04/2016 5:15 pm  

And those also have doweled butt joints. Because this is hard to see, I've attached a photo of the much more common finger jointed version.
I would - guess - your chairs are earlier than most.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
03/04/2016 5:33 pm  

Nice purchase! I think these are one of the most comfortable chairs ever made. I bought a set with a teak table at Goodwill--for $25!--about 10 years ago without knowing what they were (other than being Danish) and one of my kids used them for a few years. I eventually reupholstered them and sold them.
Are you going to reupholster them yourself? The seats are easy enough but the backs are a bit fussy. SO nice when redone properly, though. And it's so easy to get beautiful Danish fabric at bargain prices, thanks to everyone and his brother selling mill ends online.

ReplyQuote
(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
03/04/2016 9:57 pm  

They need to be reupholstered, at this point they can't be used as the foam is a fine dust.
I am going to attempt to reupholster them myself, I haven't ever tried but I feel confident enough that I can figure it out!

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
04/04/2016 2:55 am  

Well, if you run into any trouble, post here. I ended up doing the backs a little differently than how they were originally done because there were aspects that were very hard to do outside of a factory set-up. The end result looks the same, I just took a slightly different route to get there.

ReplyQuote
(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
05/04/2016 1:33 am  

Hey Spanky, do you have any sites that you would recommend for finding mill ends?
What colour/fabric did you use when you reupholstered the chairs you had?

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
07/04/2016 12:46 am  

Modern-Fabrics.com is a good one--excellent service, good selection, and they send out a newsletter at least weekly with new arrivals. Their prices are below wholesale, just make sure the yardage is sufficent. You need about 3/4 yard per two chairs for Buchs. ETA: SORRY, it's 3/4 yd fabric for ONE chair! That does not allow for any cutting errors.
My favorite fabric for teak dining chairs is Hallingdal or Tonica (Maharam/Kvadrat) in the darkest heather charcoal gray color, i think it's #180. They have a Divina Melange wool felt in the same colorway but I think it might be too heavy and stiff to go around the fairly tight corners of the back rest parts.
I also love olive green, though. And teal blue. Not fond of red with teak at all. And I really like to stay away from light neutrals because they inevitably end up with food stains that hard to get out completely. The heathered dark gray is great because it hides that stuff but also lint doesn't show the way it would on a solid dark gray or black. If you've ever a garment maid of black corduroy, you know what i mean!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register