Design Addict

Cart

Large Ceramic Plant...

Large Ceramic Planter - Need ID help - architectural pottery?  

RSS

MirnaMinkoff
(@mirnaminkoff)
Eminent Member
26/08/2013 3:01 am  

Hi:
I picked up this large ceramic planter which came from an estate.(See below) I placed it on top of a knoll tulip table to give an idea of scale, since most are familiar with the size of a tulip side table. The planter is 16 inches wide, 12 inches wide. Probably 15 lbs.
Direct Link:
It is similar in design (and clay type) as the pieces produced by Architectural Pottery but that's ONLY a hunch. But I can find no AP pieces online exactly like this - close but not a match. I can't see any markings - there is some cork hiding parts of the bottom but its been appoxied on there and nearly impossible to remove.
I've also been looking at vintage Gainey Pottery pieces - but again no luck.
When doing research I can only find the same 10-20 iconic designs produced by AP.I know the AP catalog was much more extensive. I have searched several large modern auction house's past results with no results.
I believe some companies like Herman Miller and Knoll occasionally sold, or carried, additional decor items such as lighting, sculpture, planters, etc... Raymor also carried many ceramic items (that I would assume included planters, but I've never found one of comparable size)But I've found nothing specific.
The piece was at least produced before 1985 - because the store it was purchased at closed its doors that year. The store carried modern contemporary furniture and decor from 1955 - 1985 but I have no idea when during that period the planter would have been obtained. The store specialized in modern design furniture and decor - were a major retailer of Herman Miller and Knoll products especially.
Any ideas, tips or thoughts appreciated.

karin koller webb
(@relaxdungenessbay-com)
Prominent Member
26/08/2013 6:26 am  

Gorgeous
Gorgeous planter! No numbers, no nothing?' Me thinks it's certainly not Gainey. Australian? Would look fabulous with some big Gasterias in it...

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2013 6:48 am  

Its a pleasing profile though I'm surprised its still intact, planting directly into it and not repotting often wouldn't be good.

ReplyQuote
MirnaMinkoff
(@mirnaminkoff)
Eminent Member
26/08/2013 8:07 am  

Reply...
Thanks, Hazelnut. Australian? Idk. Were there Australian producers of this type of large scale planters? Any names I could search?
was assuming American, since it was org from a store in Penn. that carried modern furniture. That said they could import inventory from anywhere - I know they carried several lines of furniture from Denmark. (The estate was a man who was a manager for the store.)
I actually have a snake plant I use in it for the time being. Getting it in a space with good sunlight is what I need to put some of the more beautiful exotics or succulents in it. ( I have the plant in a plastic container so it won't damage the planter)
Heath, yes I love the profile and I'm always impressed to find anything, much less ceramic, in good shape after 30 or more years. I think this one is in such great shapre because it was prob was never used for live plants, or least never one planted directly into. The interior is pristine, no water marks, no stains, nothing. Looks brand new - so I'm assuming it either had a fake plant in it or was used for other purposes.

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2013 9:12 am  

If you don't already know the name check out some of Hans Copers spade form vases, apples and oranges but worth a look.

ReplyQuote
MirnaMinkoff
(@mirnaminkoff)
Eminent Member
26/08/2013 9:27 am  

Re:HeathI had heard the...
Re:Heath
I had heard the name, in association with Lucie Rie, but never looked specifically at his work - stunning, gorgeous, amazing. I dream of owning such exquisite vessels. Thanks for pointing me to the name, I love finding new artists/ designers to explore.

ReplyQuote
MirnaMinkoff
(@mirnaminkoff)
Eminent Member
28/08/2013 4:44 am  

New pic...
Bump - here's another photo showing what the planter looks like in use. Still hoping someone might recognize it or have any old AP materials.

ReplyQuote
RogerSteve
(@rogersteve)
20/12/2019 12:01 pm  

First, let me know did you ever use ceramic before?
If it is yes one of my friend Kari Ytterdal is a ceramic art designer and she is also running her ceramic business. I have learn this ceramic art from her. If you need any guidelines related to ceramic to go to her blog she will help you and guide you as well.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register