Hygge is a Danish word that can be best described as enjoying life’s simple pleasures. It was created as a concept and lifestyle by the Danish in the 18th century and is now a fundamental part of their culture.
Hygge is pronounced ‘hue-gah’. There is no single English translation for hygge, but it is often characterized as ‘togetherness’ or ‘coziness.’
While the word is meant to encompass the Danish way of life, it also embodies their decor. The main idea of hygge decor is to create a peaceful, serene space that is free of clutter. Mess can cause stress, which is the opposite of the calming and happy way of the Danish lifestyle. Even though hygge is a concept that is commonly associated with winter, it was actually meant to be enjoyed year round.
Hygge is a Scandinavian way of life that spreads warmth and calm. It celebrates health and happiness and can be accomplished in other ways besides just decor. Here are some ways that you can incorporate hygge into your lifestyle:
- Surround yourself with friends and family
- Enjoy the simple pleasures
- Be present and thankful
- Stay an extra hour in bed
- Barbeque outside
- Reuse and recycle
- Take up a new hobby
- Don’t stress
- Appreciate your surroundings
- Enjoy a good book
How to includes hygge in your home office
- Avoid harsh lighting in your home office. Instead, choose soft lighting options. Look for a space with natural lighting options. It’s a great way to avoid electric lighting – at least for part of the day. For desk lighting, choose light bulbs that give off a warm glow. You’ll find it more soothing as you work.
- Bring nature indoors. Plants help to make us happy. They also combat indoor air pollution and improve our moods.
- Bring yourself closer to the places you really want to be by adding trinkets from those special places. Have a shelf with souvenirs from your travels, photos of your family and art work to transport you back.
- Play soft music to help you concentrate.
- Help yourself think more positively (and relax at the same time), by adding some positive mantras around your home office.
- Schedule some time to have a coffee break. Even if you work on your own and talk to your cat.
- Organize your work space.
- Choose a good chair.
Now that you have a beautiful hygge home office, it is time to enjoy it and be productive at work 😉