Massimo Scolari (1943). Graduate in architecture in Milan in 1969.
In 1973 he started teaching History of Architecture in Palermo and History and Technique of Drawing at the Istituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia (IUAV). He became Associate Professor in 1983 and a Full Professor in 1986.
His studies on representation were published by Marsilio in Il disegno obliquo (2005).
Between 1975 and 1993 he was Visiting Professor in various universities among which: Cornell University, Cooper Union N.Y., Institute for Architecture and Urban Studies N.Y., Technische Universität Vienna, Harvard University, Cambridge. From 2006 is Davenport Visiting Professor at the Yale School of Architecture.
Editor of “Controspazio”, “Casabella”, “Lotus International”, director of “Eidos” (1989 – 1995) and the series of architectural books by Franco Angeli (1973-1988).
From 1989 to 2011 he designed furniture for Giorgetti where he was also the art director until 2001.
He has held exhibitions in Europe, Japan, Russia and the United States. His works are in the permanent collections of the MoMa (New York), of the Teheran Museum of Contemporary Art, of the Deutsches Architektur Museum (Frankfurt) and of the Centre Pompidou (Paris). He realized installations for the Venice Biennials 1980, 1984, 1991, 1996, and 2004 and at the Milan Triennials in 1973 and 1986.
In 2001 he resigned from the italian university. He gained a pilot’s license in the same year. In 2007 Skira has published a monograph on the occasion of his personal exhibition at the Civic Museum in Riva del Garda now translated into english for the Exhibition at the Yale School of Architecture (February-May 2012) and at the Cooper Union (October-November 2012).
In 2014 he is the recipient of the Arnold W. Brunner Memorial Prize in Architecture, awarded by the American Academy of Arts and Letters in New York.