Marianne Brandt studied painting and sculpture at the Grand-ducal College of Fine Arts in Weimar. She enrolled at the Bauhaus in 1924, where she entered the metal workshop. In 1928 she became temporary head of the metal workshop.
In 1929 she left the Bauhaus to work in Walter Gropius’s architectural office in Berlin (1928-29) before being appointed as a designer for the Ruppelwerk GmbH, a metalware manufacturer in Gotha (1929-1932). In 1932 she returned to Chemnitz and worked independently, returning also to painting. In 1949-1951 she taught at the Dresden College of Free and Applied Arts as well as the Institut für Angewandte Kunst in Berlin (1951-1954).
In her later years, she turned to painting and sculptures.