Cart

Yet another Moeller...

Yet another Moeller Teak Table  

RSS

ddink
(@ddink)
29/02/2024 10:35 pm  

Hey everyone,

I read a lot of threads in this forum about teak table/chair restoration and I feel very well prepared to not sand down anything - just clean and rub out the old dirt and put new oil back on.

BUT unfortunately I have an issue: it seems like the veneer on top of the table has seen water and shows waves. If I just oil it, it will get damaged over time again and scratch off. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to handle this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1709243084-13FDB2CB-CE2F-40EA-87EF-DBE3D3C31F69.jpeg
This topic was modified 2 months ago by ddink

Elizabeth liked
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2024 4:22 pm  

@ddink

A vigorous rubdown with naphtha on an old clean dish towel (I like linen, but cotton's OK) should remove most if not all grime and remaining old oil finish. A careful, light hand-sanding with P-220 (or higher) on a block is relatively safe and helps to "open" the wood grain on the veneer. Oxalic acid treatment(s) next should minimize or eliminate completely any "tidelines" left by water stains and help to even out natural color overall. After that, a quick rinse with water and another quick, light sanding to knock off any raised wood fibers, and you're ready for a new finish.

Yes, traditional oil finishes are susceptible to water and/or alcohol damage and require regular maintenance. It's the price we pay for the natural look and feel intended for these pieces. OTOH, oil finishes are relatively easy to apply and repair, so it's a fair tradeoff, IMO. FWIW, I put paste wax on oiled surfaces that see heavy usage (tabletops and chair arms) for an extra protective layer and, of course, try to get after any spills right away. 

Nice looking table. Bon chance!

ReplyQuote
ddink
(@ddink)
05/03/2024 3:27 pm  

Hey,

thanks a lot for answering! I just realized that my account got enabled. I just attached a picture of the waviness of the table und I am wondering if it is still ok for sanding. I probably only have one shot, that’s why I’m a bit careful here 😉 

Christian

1709648847-BB4745A7-B9D9-410E-8F39-CE0C24A2188A.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
21/03/2024 1:41 pm  

@ddink

Yikes! Thank you for illustrating a problem with offering refinishing advice without first seeing the piece in person. 

I'm going to recommend disregarding my previous post and taking the table to an expert at this point. It appears that whatever liquid (possibly hot) was spilled there has caused the veneer to blister and/or the substrate to swell. Veneer blisters, by themselves, are relatively easy to flatten. But, if the substrate is no longer flat, that's another problem altogether.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register