Cart

Tight Drawers

Tight Drawers  

RSS

mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
12/10/2020 4:12 pm  

Good morning.  I just picked up a couple of cabinets from the Omnibus wall system by Sven Ellekaer.  One of them is this chest with three drawers, but the drawers are so tight they barely slide.   All of the drawer corner joints are tight; it just seems like the wood has swelled just enough over the years to make the drawers too tight.  Does anyone have any tips to make this type of drawer slide easier? Thanks 

1602511945-Sven1.jpg
This topic was modified 4 years ago by mark737

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
12/10/2020 5:13 pm  

@mark737 ; Good morning/afternoon to you too.

Phew..When I first saw my E-mail notification ( before I clicked into it) all I noticed were the words "Tight Drawers". 😱 

Thankfully you are talking about a piece of furniture 😏 

I am not an expert, but what about trying some beeswax, soap or something along those lines and see if it helps?

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
12/10/2020 6:23 pm  

@lexi  Thanks, and I figured that title might help get some responses, though I wasn't sure if it was an Americanism that wouldn't translate.  I did try beeswax already but that did not do it.  The sides of the drawers are clearly rubbing the sides of the cabinet so it needs some sort of spreading of the cabinet, or reduction of the drawer width.  I'll try sanding down the sides to see if that makes a difference but am open to other suggestions.  

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
13/10/2020 3:10 pm  

Yeah, you could also try lubricants like Slipit or Mohawk Slideez but, if the case panels have swollen from overexposure to high humidity, you'll likely need to plane the drawer sides and maybe rout the slide grooves deeper, too.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register