Cart

Refurbishing old le...

Refurbishing old leather barstools  

RSS

frnturelvr
(@frnturelvr)
Estimable Member
07/06/2023 7:59 am  

I just acquired a set of 4 erik buck bar stools and the original leather seats are quite worn, with some fading and lots of scratches (see picture). The scratches aren't as deep as they appear in the picture, so it seems like the seats could be refurbished, I just don't know much about what products are good for this purpose. Any advice?

1686117569-IMG_4987-Large.jpeg

cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
07/06/2023 6:56 pm  

Well, I said in the other ID thread that the seats were probably vinyl, but based on this photo, they could be leather. I can't really tell if the beige/yellow patterning on the back lip is wear to the finish or all light reflection. If you could access the underside edge on one stool to see the rear face of the upholstery, you will have your answer. Beige/yellow color like a saddle or old baseball glove will be vegetable tanned leather. A bluish-gray color will be chrome-tanned leather. And a fabric backing will be vinyl.

Treatment will depend on which one of the three it is.

ReplyQuote
frnturelvr
(@frnturelvr)
Estimable Member
08/06/2023 5:53 am  

@cdsilva Thanks for the response. Here's a picture of the underside with the seat material folded over slightly showing a dark gray back. Also here's another picture of the seat top with less light reflections. There is definitely some lighter color showing through the black where it is worn.

1686196387-IMG_4991-Large.jpeg

1686196711-IMG_4989-Large.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
16/06/2023 3:06 am  

@frnturelvr, Sorry to be so late to this. Your leather seat coverings appear in good condition despite the surface scratches, dryness and wear. I've had good luck with Fiebing's leather restoration products here in the US. I probably wouldn't recommend them for museum pieces, but...

What many may not be aware of or forget is that leather is protein-based material. As such, it will eventually degrade in the presence of oxygen and exposure to normal everyday conditions (UV light, use, etc). Regular sensitive treatment can extend serviceable life and delay the inevitable.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register