Cart

PH Lamp Conversion

PH Lamp Conversion  

RSS

frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
18/06/2020 6:45 pm  

I just bought two 23cm PH hats from Denmark and, of course, want to plug them in as soon as they arrive, but won't be able to because they are 220v. I hoping someone has some good advice regarding converting these to use in the US (120v). The seller included a bunch of E14 bulbs with the shipment, so I am wondering if I could rewire the lamps with a new plug and continue to use the E14 socket? Or should I replace it with an E12 socket? Also, will rewiring create any issues with the inline switch?

Really any and all advice is welcome. I have rewired some lamps before, but never converted from European to US and don't know too much about amperage, voltage, wattage, etc.

Many thanks!

1592498710-10700580_bukobject.jpg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
19/06/2020 3:03 pm  

Pretty sure E14 and E12 lighting fixtures are compatible with US120V household current since lamps (bulbs) are available in both socket sizes here. Just need to change the plug. I'm less sure about how wattage rating might be affected, but I'd assume it's safe to use Euro lamps (bulbs) here, too.

We need an electrocutioner here... for the troll bots if nothing else.

ReplyQuote
frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
19/06/2020 6:30 pm  

@tktoo2 Yes, I'd love to zap the bots! So much good info here that even the occasional meaningless post can be annoying.

I think you're right about just needed to swap the plug, which is easy enough.

I talked to an electrician who said, in addition to the plug, an E12 to E14 adapter is all that's needed. I will have to wait and see if the bulbs being sent with the lamps are rated at 220V and maybe try them out just to see. I think that running 220V bulbs with 120V line will, if anything, make them more dim. But again, I'm not electrocutioner. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register