Cart

Ludvig Pontoppidan ...

Ludvig Pontoppidan PO13 serving cart  

RSS

frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
25/03/2020 9:26 pm  

Hey all - I just picked up this Pontoppidan cart and it needs a few touch ups. I'm hoping some oxalic acid will lighten the two rings on the bottom, but I'm not too worried about them.

I would like to replace the rubber on the wheels. I'm not sure if that is feasible, and am hoping that someone will know one way or the other and, if so, where I might find the replacement rubber.

Also, any tips on cleaning up the brass? I'm assuming these components are solid brass?

Thanks!

1585168100-IMG_2122.jpg

1585168126-IMG_2126.jpg

1585168151-IMG_2127.jpg
This topic was modified 4 years ago 4 times by frankielemmons

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
25/03/2020 11:41 pm  

I guess this would work: https://restorationsupplies.com/tea-cart-wheel-rubber/

ReplyQuote
frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
26/03/2020 1:11 am  

Yeah, thanks Zephyr, that's what I came up with too. Because of how the wheels are assembled (hand hammered rivets, it seems) I won't be able to disassemble, so I will have to glue the new rubber in place around the wheel instead of gluing and then stretching it. Should be a bit tricky but not too bad, and I don't imagine I'll be rolling this around too much. Maybe warming the rubber will allow it to stretch more and it will tighten on the wheel as it cools.

Does anyone have any original ads or documentation for this? I'd love to see a Pontoppidan catalog if that even existed. Of course I've found it on the Danish Furniture Index.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
27/03/2020 1:54 pm  

The cabinetmakers tended to maker up loose cards for their designs. Then the catalog would be a binder with a pocket for all the cards. I guess this made it easier to add or subtract things. The cabinetmakers were not generally large business who printed catalogs. The Niels Vodder 1956 catalog was a very unusual thing for a cabinetmaker. Of course by 1956 it is not too certain he would have been considered a cabinetmaker and it is none too certain that the distinction meant anything anymore. 

ReplyQuote
frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
27/03/2020 4:32 pm  

That's good to know, Zephyr. I'm really happy to have found this little cart - it's the only cabinetmaker piece I've had.

Do you happen to know when this might have been produced? Also, I'm curious as to why it's so short. I know dining chairs and tables were a few inches shorter than what is standard today, but this cart is pretty squat. Most listings I have found online, included on the Danish furniture index, have the height at 23.5-25in. Mine is exactly 22in. Is this variability common with cabinetmaker pieces?

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register