Design Addict

Cart

Help with polishing...

Help with polishing rosewood  

RSS

jazzmessenger
(@jazzmessenger)
10/04/2019 4:10 am  

I picked up this Thygesen for Heltborg rosewood coffee table a few weeks ago and looking for some advice on removing light scratches and some haze/fading from sun. Its hard to see in the photos, but it's there.

Would it be best to use a soft cloth or 0000 steel wool? Restor a finish? Watco teak oil? Danish oil? Something else? As you can see, it doesn't need a lot at all, but wanted to give it a once over to make it pop. I've never worked with rosewood.

Thanks in advance.

1554862216-FB_IMG_1554861654643.jpg

jazzmessenger
(@jazzmessenger)
10/04/2019 5:03 am  

Another photo

1554865403-Resized_20190408_1347381.jpeg

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
10/04/2019 1:43 pm  

It would help to know what kind of finish is on the table presently before messing with it, but rubbing it out with #0000 steel wool on a block will knock down the sheen to satin and may minimize fine scratches to the point where a paste waxing may be all that's needed. The table looks pretty good in your pics and that's probably all I'd do to it. I certainly wouldn't recommend applying any finishing product without either completely stripping or confirming compatibility with existing finish first. Are those actual corner splines or some sort of applied decoration suggesting such?

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
05/05/2019 5:37 am  

The edge banding is actually just veneer in an edge banding pattern so probably not everything is as it seems with the splines either. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register