Cart

Eames Aluminum Chai...

Eames Aluminum Chair EA117 wobble  

RSS

Lennard
(@lennard)
29/12/2020 3:23 pm  

Hey all

I have an Eames EA117 from Vitra. I bought it on an auction a few years ago, I think it's from around 2005-2010.

The chair's fine, except for a slight wobble at the base. I don't know whether it's me noticing it more as time goes by, or the wobble itself gets worse. Anyway, I don't know how to fix this. I don't have any experience with these mechanics, and the label underneath the seating "... should only be carried out by qualified personnel", does make me wonder whether I can do anything about it myself at all.

If so, I'm all ears!

Thanks
L.

Topic Tags
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
01/01/2021 4:05 pm  

@lennard, Happy new year and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your wobble, but it happens like this: mechanical parts that move against each other eventually wear out. Some manufacturers actually anticipate this and occasionally design their products with future repair in mind. The advisory label you've discovered (and Vitra has so kindly affixed) leads me to think that this might be the case with your chair.

Are you looking for a factory-authorized repair service or advice on how to remedy this issue yourself? If the latter, the fact that you haven't simply ignored the label recommending qualified service doesn't instill a lot of confidence in your abilities...

ReplyQuote
Lennard
(@lennard)
10/02/2021 12:33 am  

I thought I posted a reply a while ago, but something went wrong apparently. Anyway...

@tktoo2 Yes, I want to learn how to do this myself (and ignore the label 😉). Before that, I just want to make sure I do the right thing. I can't really find any documentation on this issue though.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2021 3:04 am  

@lennard, There is a part called a 'bushing' or 'bush' or 'bearing' (or whatever it is called where you are) located between the central support shaft and the hub of the base of your chair that, over time and use, wears out and makes the chair feel annoyingly unstable. Made from either plastic or bronze, it was intended to be replaced when needed but has become difficult for consumers or 'end users' to source since. This part can also be difficult to remove and replace if you are not 'mechanically inclined'. If you are in the EU, I recommend contacting Graham Mancha in the UK for advice and/or spares that will fit your chair. Good luck!

Lennard liked
ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2021 6:24 pm  

@lennard, I posted that after more beer than prudent for a school night. Please forgive and allow me to clarify:

I've not replaced bushings on any Eames Aluminum Group chairs myself, but I do understand the process of removing and installing them. A worn bushing (there may be two) is the common and likely cause of the problem and, if so, you should be able to locate and confirm the hub as the source of the wobble.

Again, apologies and good luck!

ReplyQuote
Lennard
(@lennard)
26/02/2021 3:56 pm  

@tktoo2 No worries 😌. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register