Design Addict

Cart

Advice on identifyi...

Advice on identifying and repairing Cherner chairs  

RSS

audreysh
(@audreysh)
27/01/2017 10:47 am  

Hello everyone, I have two questions and can post in different forums if that is helpful.

1) The first is on identification. My husband bought six cherner-style chairs in San Francisco maybe 15 years ago at a used furniture/antique store. We just always assumed they were probably reproductions, but I guess it would be good to know how to tell if they are original or not. Can you give me advice on identification? I can't find any labels or symbols.

2) We have never done anything to them and feel like they are in need of some maintenance. How should I keep them looking nice without major repairs? They all have different levels of damage. Some of the veneer is cracking on a few. Others have water stains. We are living overseas right now, and I don't have access to a quality repair shop. We have no interest in selling them, because we love them (even if they are reproductions). We just want to know how to keep them from falling apart!

Thanks in advance. Audrey
cherner2.jpgeameschair.jpgcherner3.jpg

tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
27/01/2017 5:23 pm  

https://www.designaddict.com/search/site/cherner%20plycraft?f[0]=sm_field...

FWIW, I like the appearance of the chair in your photos. If it were mine, and it seemed structurally sound, I'd give it a good rubdown with mineral spirits and clean rags, glue down any lifting veneers, lightly sand off any splintery bits, and then paste wax it. The "patina" of honest wear on vintage furniture is impossible to fake and only adds value, IMO.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register