Advice on replacing...

Advice on replacing cushion material & cleaning original fabric  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
27/08/2016 9:22 pm  

I don't think memory foam is anything like latex foam! It doesn't bounce right back when you press your hand into it---which is what it's supposed to do. It was developed for astronauts. It also needs body heat to soften the foam so that it will mold to the human form. Latex foam molds instantly to the body and unmolds just as quickly.
That said---I don't think there's any reason not to use it in a loose cushion, if you find it to be the most comfortable option. I can see this being the case with people with back or hip problems, maybe. Foam can always be easily replaced in loose cushions.
A drawback might be that you kind of half to have a thin covering on the foam because you don't want to impede the heating up of the foam. I know memory foam mattresses are not supposed to have quilted mattress pads on them for that reason. And upholstery fabric directly on memory foam might grip it and end up getting creased. It might also look kind of bad when you first get up out of the chair because the foam stays compressed for awhile---which would leave the fabric looking slack and sloppy. But again---may be worth it if you need it for medical reasons.
I would seriously hesitate to put it into anything fully upholstered, though. Certainly not in anything I was planning to sell.
I've also heard that many memory foams develop permanent hollows in a short time. The original brand may be different---not sure.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
27/08/2016 11:50 pm  

Hi.
(edited stupid question)
ps Hi.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
28/08/2016 12:04 am  

Excellent question! Joann Fabrics foam is a light green that might go with something, somewhere. And I have some fire-resistant (?) foam that is a lovely cerulean blue. I have seen pink, too. And of course other types of foam are readily available in dark gray.
You could also produce some interesting, if not highly contrasting, striped and geometric patterns by masking off areas and exposing the foam to UV light, which makes it go yellowish.
Or how about swirls of light green and pink! The possibilities are....possible?
Hi to you, too.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
28/08/2016 12:18 am  

Hi Spanky.
Your Aunt Mark
Hi.

ReplyQuote
Abudhabicurtain1
(@abudhabicurtain1)
17/10/2020 8:12 am  

Sofa Cushions are the perfect way to add soft comfort to your couch and get it looking even more inviting. Whether you want a more traditional look with leather cushions or something more modern, with vinyl cushions for a contemporary look, the choices are endless

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register