Cart

Delta Variant and M...

Delta Variant and Mask Wearing  

RSS

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
29/06/2021 3:35 am  

We in the northeastern US have been pretty consistently at least 3 weeks behind western Europe as far as the COVID pandemic is concerned. In Massachusetts, where I live, the vaccination percentage is close to 70% and it's like teenagers on rumspringa out there. The floodgates have been opened. Nobody wears masks. Party like it's 1999.

It's all a bit unnerving, but it's almost impossible to resist the temptation to let our collective pent-up whatevers all hang out all at once devil-may-care. Are we making a big mistake so soon after successfully ridding ourselves of our last yuuuge one?

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
07/07/2021 7:09 pm  

@tktoo2. I hear what you are saying ! Indoor dining and drinking was due to start on July 5th but has been delayed and is up for review, with July 19th being mooted. This is due to the fact that the Delta variant now accounts for 70% (and rising; it was 20% 2 weeks ago) of all new Covid cases. The health advisers here are now changing tactic and there is a big push to vaccinate the age groups 18 to 39 ... ASAP. As you pointed out it is "party time". On the plus side ( ? ! ?) there seems to be fewer hospital admissions with this variant, I presume it is because all the older and more vulnerable people have been vaccinated and younger people are healthier to start with. Anyways it will be an interesting Summer watching it all unfold and only time will tell.

Enjoy the Summer however or wherever or with whomever you decide to spend it...as long as they are vaccinated !!!

Slainte.

ps; on a more sober note we are seeing quite a few cases of "Long Covid" among young people, who had Covid in the earlier days, presenting at the hospital where I work. From breathlessness to heart palpitations and other health problems.  What I find surprising is that there is no real mention of this in the announcements from the Government or the health advisers. Then again it would probably fall on deaf ears. We were all that age once and did we listen to our parents or anybody in authority for that matter; NO, I don't think so. We were and they currently are "invincible" !!!

plus ça changeplus c'est la même chose.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
10/07/2021 3:31 pm  

@lexi, Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful response. My question about making a mistake was almost rhetorical given the deliberate, calculated and unforgivable politicization of COVID vaccination here. I sincerely hope that's less of an issue for you in Ireland and that you, too, are able to find enjoyment and respite this summer. I can't even imagine what it's meant for people (like you!) working jobs in health care during the pandemic. I promise to raise a perfect Mojito on a perfect evening in your honor first chance I get!

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
12/07/2021 6:58 pm  

I have to admit that I am now torn about Covid. We also have a pretty high vaccination rate in Germany now, I myself am getting my second vaccination next week. Almost all people over 60 have been vaccinated. The delta variant will come, it will drive the numbers up in the next few weeks, that's for sure. But the question is how we as a society should react to it. I think that with vaccinations we have done everything possible and necessary to protect the health system. But we will not be able to protect every individual. People will die from covid in the future. Young people will develop Long Covid. Nevertheless, it should be possible for people to live regular lives again. So we are in an intermediate stage, so to speak. It is interesting how differently countries are dealing with this situation. Germans always tend to be worried and overcautious. And of course our experts are now warning again about rising numbers, tougher restrictions and so on. Great Britain, on the other hand, is opening up completely, although the numbers are rising drastically again. In Germany, people shake their heads at this, but to be honest, I'm quite grateful to the British for it. Because the example of Great Britain will show whether we have done enough with our precautions or not. If the number of intensive care patients in Great Britain remains low, there will be little argument for the other states with high vaccination rates to maintain strict measures. Then it's just up to us to get used to normal life again, and the risk of contracting covid in the process. This will be a challenge, but I believe that the time has come to take this step.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register