This week's Flea Ma...

This week's Flea Market find- Mid Century Sofa  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

ChrisG-52
(@chrisg-52)
Noble Member
18/07/2006 1:55 pm  

My wife and I found a great piece this weekend (link to photo below). The seller at the flea market tried to sell it as 1950s Danish Modern. It has no markings that I can find. I told him I was inclined to think it was mid-century American. No concern, we were going to buy it anyway. We paid almost nothing for it. I know nothing about it, though the lines make me inclined to think it is American. In this same room we also have a mid-century American credenza with peg-legs. It is not shown in this photo, but sits on the opposite wall. They look very nice together.

We have a nice mix of both *name* pieces and more obscure period pieces. This sofa really completes the room.

ChrisG-52
(@chrisg-52)
Noble Member
18/07/2006 1:57 pm  

New fabric
We plan to reupholster it in a two tone fabric combination as shown in the next retouched photo.

ReplyQuote
decoboy
(@decoboy)
Eminent Member
19/07/2006 6:05 am  

Looks hot
Great find. I'm not a fan of the two-tone plan... I would go for barcelona-esque black tufted leather cushions with smooth bolster pillows, but different strokes. Really nice piece...

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@klm3comcast-net)
Noble Member
19/07/2006 8:00 pm  

Nice find!
I have one like that but without the arms. Mine is walnut and isn't marked either but I got it at a flea market in Denmark so it's probably Danish.
I reupholstered mine in a cinnamon colored chenille. Wool hopsack or a wool boucle would be the most appropriate, I think. I just saw the quintessential 50s Danish mod fabric in a mill end shop a few days ago: olive green wool hopsack. It was only $6/yd, too.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
19/07/2006 10:00 pm  

i agree with the above
the two tone would get old. opt for a more traditional danish theme (also mentioned). i like the idea of oatmeal or olive hopsack or nubby fabric or the leather.

ReplyQuote
ChrisG-52
(@chrisg-52)
Noble Member
19/07/2006 11:38 pm  

two-tone it is
Sorry, not going to spend $3000+ re-upholstering a $350 sofa in button tuffed leather, though I conceed that it would probably look nice. Sorry to those who don't like my two-tone choice, but that's what we're doing. Depending on what fabrics we find once we get out there and shop, the colors could change, but it will be a two tone combination.
Glad everyone seems to like the sofa as much as we do. We were only out shopping for a dresser (found that too, maybe another post). The sofa was a lucky find. Certainly saved us a lot of money on the new leather sofas we'd been looking at.

ReplyQuote
DavidDC
(@daviddc)
Prominent Member
20/07/2006 1:51 am  

I love that sofa
And the nice thing is that it probably won't cost very much at all to reupholster it (800 max), especially if you have already purchase the fabric. Someone on the lottaliving.com board posted a message about having an auto upholsterer doing his daybed on the cheap.
Personally, I like whitespike's idea of a hopsack fabric. But to each his own.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@klm3comcast-net)
Noble Member
20/07/2006 2:12 am  

American or Danish?
The two-tone upholstery will give it a definite American look. A tweed, hopsack or boucle will make it look more Danish. Just depends on what you like.

ReplyQuote
ChrisG-52
(@chrisg-52)
Noble Member
20/07/2006 4:13 am  

American or Danish?
spanky wrote:
> The two-tone upholstery will give it a definite
> American look. A tweed, hopsack or boucle will
> make it look more Danish. Just depends on what
> you like.
The guy who sold it claimed it was Danish, but as I said before, I suspect otherwise (the guys at the flea market will tell you everything is Danish because they think you'll pay more for it). I cannot find any branding anywhere, so it's difficult to say for sure. My other pieces are American (in particular, the credenza that compliments it). I would prefer that it keep with that look.

ReplyQuote
ChrisG-52
(@chrisg-52)
Noble Member
20/07/2006 6:52 am  

Credenza
The aforementioned credenza that sits across the room from the sofa-

ReplyQuote
ChrisG-52
(@chrisg-52)
Noble Member
20/07/2006 6:59 pm  

Craig's List
Just saw this on Craig's List:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/fur/183984567.html

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@rlymphotmail-com)
Trusted Member
21/07/2006 3:23 am  

is that a dvd player and a vcr?
Is that a dvd player and a vcr under the credenza? Did you put the TV inside the credenza? Just asking - cause I was thinking of doing that too with my Paul McCobb credenza.

ReplyQuote
ChrisG-52
(@chrisg-52)
Noble Member
21/07/2006 6:03 am  

Credenzas and CD cases
On the floor beneath the credenza are a cable box on the left and a power amp on the right. As for the inside of the credenza, I've had plexi-glass tracks built inside the drawers that hold CDs. I use a brand of CD sleeves called DiscSox (see link below). They are sort of like CaseLogic sleeves, except that they have an extra wide pocket on the back side that holds the tray-card so you can keep all the components to the CD when you discard the jewel case, as opposed to CaseLogic which only has a pocket for the cover-booklet and the disc.
http://www.discsox.com/products/cd_pro_sleeve.htm

ReplyQuote
ChrisG-52
(@chrisg-52)
Noble Member
06/03/2008 4:40 am  

I finally got around to...
I finally got around to having this upholstered and I did go with the two tone:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

ReplyQuote
Tulipman
(@tulipman)
Illustrious Member
07/03/2008 12:47 am  

WAY COOL!
Great colors in a Pucci-esque cloth.Just wonderful-looks great in the room.Excellent harmony with the other elements in the room,too!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register