Design Addict

Cart

washers glued on ea...

washers glued on eames side chair??  

RSS

debimags
(@debimags)
22/03/2012 4:13 pm  

I recently found an abandoned, original eames chair, with a thin grey vinyl upholostered shell. The chair is in decent shape, nothing major is wrong with it. I am trying to get an idea of when this chair might have been made and its back story, if possible.
The one thing though that has me perplexed is this heavy gooey glue that was used to glue the washers to the shell? Could this possibly be something some owner may have done? I know glue was used on the wood panel lounge chair, but the shell chairs?
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks so much! Its my first post, but as a furniture lover, I read often and love this forum.

mjf451
(@mjf451)
Trusted Member
22/03/2012 4:41 pm  

If you mean the glue/epoxy...
If you mean the glue/epoxy that holds the rubber shock mounts to the fiberglass, that is how all of the fiberglass shells are attached to the mounts.

ReplyQuote
mjf451
(@mjf451)
Trusted Member
22/03/2012 4:46 pm  

Though, if they are sloppily...
Though, if they are sloppily done, they might have been replaced or reglued. Maybe post a photo and we can help you out more.

ReplyQuote
debimags
(@debimags)
05/04/2012 10:35 am  

glued washers, pics
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but there are links to the pics below.
The chair does need work as there are little bits missing (some screws, feet pads), so i plan on this being a small project to restore it. But the glued washers... I dont know where to begin with these because it looks like alot was used.
any thoughts? Does it look like an original 'glue job' in someones more educated opinion?
Thanks so much!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76869730@N07/7046960625/d

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
05/04/2012 6:50 pm  

Hi
The shock mounts look to be re-glued. It's not terribly done however (assuming the epoxy is holding up well). The original epoxy was also applied in excess so that it showed around the edges of the mounts and was either black or off-white in color.

ReplyQuote
Brent
(@brent)
Illustrious Member
05/04/2012 11:02 pm  

Replacement parts
Congratulations on your beautiful chair. FYI, this is a useful link to another thread about buying replacement spare parts such as screws.
http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/th...

ReplyQuote
debimags
(@debimags)
06/04/2012 3:43 pm  

thanks!
thanks so much for taking a look. the epoxy is holding well and i plan to seek out spare parts. i am tempted to strip off the vinyl and just have the shell, maybe refinish it, color it? I wouldn't want to ruin the original piece but I would have loved to have found a colored shell chair!d

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
06/04/2012 3:51 pm  

stay away from the fiberglass,
when coloring it you will obscure the fibres and
caracter of the chair, in my opinion.
I would keep it as is and look for another example, when you
want a coloured one, without the padding.
maybe the beginning of a collection..?

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
06/04/2012 5:44 pm  

Don't do it, debimags!
Your vinyl looks to be in good shape. It's getting to the point where upholstered versions in good condition are becoming quite rare. I'd leave it for now. Besides, "greige" is not among the more desirable colors and black upholstery never goes out of style.

ReplyQuote
debimags
(@debimags)
06/04/2012 6:09 pm  

awesome advice
thank you all so much for the advice... i probably would have screwed this chair up trying to make it into something it isnt. I am going to leave the chair as it is but get the needed lil parts. I would like to clean the metal legs as they are looking a bit worn for wear. Im guessing steel wool to clean them up? Would you recommend a polish?
I have to say I am quite impressed by the level of knowledge and enthusiasm offered here. And yes, a collection may have begun!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register