suggestions on bedroom furnishings  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2010 2:52 am  

What I like
about the Modernica Alpine Bed is that besides it's wide sturdy legs and cool headboard, it's constructed so the mattress will always stay put and under the mattress is a bunch of small holes to provide air for the underside of the mattress, which will make it last longer.
All in all, a cool bed.

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2010 3:47 am  

That Alpine bed
... is held in place front to back Barry but not side to side. Guess you have to be careful which direction you .... um, sleep.

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2010 5:18 am  

Yea
but at least it's fairly secured!
Right now I'm sleeping on a new cotton batting futon on a flat platform, and the mattress slides a bit down from the wall over the course of a week (when I change sheets). I don't think I've ever had side-to-side slippage.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2010 11:56 am  

As usual, I'm taking photos...
As usual, I'm taking photos with a cellphone camera in the middle of the night...
The bed (photo #1) is Modernica's queen-size Case Study; it's also available in full and king sizes. Hidden next to it in the dark is an Eames LTR, which makes a nice, unobtrusive nightstand if you want a small surface for a book or a glass of water and don't need drawers or a place to put a lamp.
Storage and desk (photo #2) are Eames ESU/EDU. The ESU is pricey and not really great for clothing storage; if you need to store a lot of clothes, a regular dresser or a set of shelves with boxes would work better. A Nelson Omni (or CSS, if you have money to burn) could be configured with lots of storage AND a desk, but both of those systems are long out of production and it might take a while to find the right one.
Fortunately, other pole-mounted systems are available. Rakks, for instance, makes a nice one that can take non-custom shelves and cases. The Rakks people are really helpful and their stuff is high quality and (relatively) affordable; I haven't seen any other currently-manufactured systems that I like more. Photo #3 is from their website; it shows a system filled with shelves and cases from Ikea's Effectiv line.

ReplyQuote
beeeeej
(@beeeeej)
24/11/2010 1:14 pm  

reef tank
Hmm...an upgrade to an Elos and DIY LED's from another thread. You doing SPS? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
25/11/2010 1:31 pm  

I plan on getting into sps. ...
I plan on getting into sps. Don't have any in my current 25g. Mostly, los and softies. I won't be getting the Elos LEDs since they aren't controllable. I'm going with AquaIlluminations Sol unit hanging from the ceiling.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
25/11/2010 1:33 pm  

Thanks for all the...
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I think I like the modernica one that barry posted best. I'm going give looking around for a while though before I buy anything.

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
25/11/2010 7:52 pm  

Cloudburst2000
Having made two posts on your thread that do nothing to address your original question, I'll take a stab at making a useful suggestion.
From my perspective, you are in a great position. Seeing as you currently have bedroom furniture, you are not in any rush. You can wait until you find the pieces that you think will suit your needs and tastes perfectly. The other facts that make me think you are in a swell spot are what you have outlined as your needs. The things you have listed I think are not difficult to obtain and can be bought very reasonably.
In the other thread about beds, the question was asked "Do they take up too much room in a showroom?" The fact is, the reason you do not see a lot of beds in vintage design shops is because they are harder to come by. If anything I find more modern headboards than full beds (either headboard/ footboard or platform beds). You'll see a fair number if you look on eBay.
The advantage you have is that you said you want a full size bed. I will often forgo buying a modern bed if it is full size because in my experience most people want a queen or king, so if you find a full size you like I'd expect it to sell for less than the larger sizes.
Likewise your single night-stand. Most people want two and only needing a single opens up more options for you and again, I'd expect to pay less for a single than I would a matched pair. Also, you small dresser and desk. Neither of those should be hard to find.
I personally don't care for the Modernica bed, but if you like it I'd suggest checking it out. But before you order one, I'd look at what vintage options are available. Besides being a greener choice (you are recycling something older, rather than using material to make something new) I think you could get what you want for far less than what new pieces cost.
I currently have a vintage George Nelson rosewood headboard from the thin edge group in a full size, but it's just a headboard. However, I am sure if you look around there are other nice vintage options for you to choose from. Good luck on your search.

ReplyQuote
gene
 gene
(@genebalkgmail-com)
Famed Member
25/11/2010 9:44 pm  

I agree with Pegboard -...
I agree with Pegboard - since you say you prefer authentic mid-century to brand new, and you aren't in any rush, why not wait for the right vintage bed to come along? It took me a long time to find my bed, and there was a point where I'd considered a Modernica "George Nelson" bed because I was just tired of waiting for the right vintage one, but I'm so glad I held out!

ReplyQuote
michaelmaloney
(@michael-gold-maloneygmail-com)
30/09/2014 11:58 am  

A floor plan or a picture WOULD be much more helpful as well as an estimate of the room size and shape. Also, sometimes rooms have built-in storage areas that may be hard to work around and with but I'd suggest making the best with the lighting you have and putting in objects that make you happy. Just do take note that we will need measurements in order to give you a better suggestiong. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Chronophage_oslo
(@christer-dynnagetmail-no)
30/09/2014 3:04 pm  

Image by the previous owner, who bought it in 1964, from a local manufacturer.Surface restoration is well underway - and finally, with a new matress, it will fulfill the need of a bed room to keep 4 a long long time…

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register