jjgalleg
(@jjgalleg)
18/01/2019 5:53 pm  

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
18/01/2019 6:08 pm  

Refer back to your first sentence.

On the other hand, if you really love it--why not?

On the other other hand, if you're relatively new to the genre but already passionate about it, chances are your eye will become more honed to really good design sooner rather than later. Of course if that happens, you can sell off the Broyhill and use the money to finance even more exciting design.

I'd avoid Pearsall completely because of its poor quality construction, but if you bought a sofa I'm betting that was one of the Pearsall items in the estate. (Probably has decent resale value though, at least until the masses move on to some new decor trend.)

ReplyQuote
jjgalleg
(@jjgalleg)
18/01/2019 7:26 pm  

I

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
18/01/2019 8:31 pm  

Dealers on 1stDibs, Chairish and an increasing number of similar sites do indeed price things very, very high---way above their actual market value. Those sites are good in that they have a higher standard for photos which comes in handy when you are looking for detail shots of something.

Also, high prices mean very little on things for sale, only on things that have actually sold.

As far as Pearsall goes, I've reupholstered a lot of Pearsall furniture and have seen the naked frames. They look like something constructed in a high school shop class: thin plywood nailed and screwed to boards (sometimes pine), metal brackets holding sections together, even the points of nails sticking through the back of one chair, The fabric and padding hide all of this, of course, and all you see are the Jetson-era lines and the admittedly handsome walnut bases and trim. People like the stuff because it looks very mid-century modern and dealers jack the prices up because they can make money off it, though not quite the ticket prices you find online.

BUT if your sofa is in good shape and you don't plan to use it as a trampoline or sit on the arms, great. If and when you replace the foam cushion, I recommend a firm density urethane upholstery foam wrapped in 3/4" upholstery batting. You can get all that online if you want to do this yourself (and get a can of spray adhesive to stick the batting to the foam). Do not get the foam at Joann's or other chain fabric stores. Theirs is not dense and it will develop hollows quickly, and it's still pricey even when on sale for half off. Ditto for batting--I think all they sell these days is quilt batting which is not durable enough for sofa cushions. Get the real thing online.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
18/01/2019 10:57 pm  

That "little voice" is never to be ignored. I recommend heeding your inner (and our beloved) spanky!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register