Cart

sculpted walnut cha...

sculpted walnut chair  

RSS

therye
(@therye)
Estimable Member
16/05/2015 11:51 pm  

Purchased this at an estAte auction.  Any info.

therye
(@therye)
Estimable Member
17/05/2015 6:28 am  

Here are some better pics. 

ReplyQuote
therye
(@therye)
Estimable Member
17/05/2015 6:35 am  

Here are some better pics. 

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
17/05/2015 7:14 am  

Nanna Ditzel for Kolds Savværk, model 113. Nice chair!
And for what it is worth I doubt it is walnut. The color looks right for walnut, but as a Danish chair, it is much more likely that it is Afrromosia darkened with UV exposure and age. Often mistaken for walnut. With a clearer shot of the grain, I could probably tell you for certain. 

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
17/05/2015 7:35 am  

Now I am really curious what wood this is. Here is one made of solid Wengé, which is pretty extraordinary. Not that I think yours is Wengé, but if they made it in Wengé, clearly they made it in a wider gamut of exotic woods than usual.
http://www.lauritz.com/en/auction/nanna-ditzel-1923-2005-wenge-armchair-...

ReplyQuote
therye
(@therye)
Estimable Member
17/05/2015 7:50 am  

Thanks that ready helps a bunch.  Do these help? It doesn't look like Wenge to me but I don't really know what that is. 

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
17/05/2015 8:00 am  

I think that is teak. Just darker than usual, but I have quite a few pieces in teak that are dark like that. 
Certainly not walnut. Not Afrormosia either. And not Wengé (which would have been really rare, exotic and expensive).

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
17/05/2015 8:02 am  

If you post another photo of the end grain at the ends of the arms with that sharpness, it will be very certain if it is teak. 

ReplyQuote
therye
(@therye)
Estimable Member
17/05/2015 8:16 am  

So even in teak I assume I got my $140 worth? 

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
17/05/2015 8:24 am  

I meant end grain, not side grain. But it looks more and more like teak. Uncommonly dark teak. 
I would say you did well at $140. 

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
18/05/2015 9:44 pm  

Sweet chair.  Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
therye
(@therye)
Estimable Member
19/05/2015 6:33 am  

Don't thank me, I am thanking Lief and this site for being two for two on helping with chairs (the other were Perttu Mentula)  that I was stumped with. What a great site for designer furniture. Thank you so much Lief, you and the others around here are a wonderful asset to these boards, I read all the ID posts.  
The following is my really long story, don't know if anyone cares, but I feel it is the least I can contribute to the board. 
So, here is my story for this chair.  A listing for an estate sale through a guy I like cause he does a lousy job marketing  popped up on tuesday and I noticed a Penguin Chair, and what I was pretty sure was a Milo Baughman Curved Walnut Wide Barrel Back Lounge for Thayer Coggin. There were also two eames LCMs from the 90's I would say.  THIS CHAIR WAS NOT LISTED!!!  
Now I have been really into MCM for about 7 months. Reading these boards and learning as much as possible.  Getting most of my stuff of Craigslist with most of it being non-designer..  I have been going to this guys auctions for about three years, but there has never been much MCM.  I was doing research about two weeks ago (memorizing 1stdibs and live auction listings) when I saw Milo's curved walnut lounge and thought, that is probably my favorite Milo Baughman chair design.   I have also always liked the Penguin.  
So I wasn't missing this auction.  Problem was my budget.  I can only really spend about $800 MAX!!! I'm thiniking no way I get the Penguin and the Baughman for that all week! No way! Maybe I will try to get the Eames for like $200 for the pair and the Penguin. I can afford that, probably. 
Just so happens that it was pouring rain most of the day.  All the furniture got covered in plastic about an hour after I got there and the 113 was back in the the corner near the front of the house next to a Thonet moulded plywood chair. Nobody hardly paid it any attention.  The skies cleared and they started auctioning furniture. The thonet went to a guy who plopped it down on the side walk and started watching the biding.  I got the 113 a few items later for $140 and joined him.
 So I sat in style as the bidding went through all the mid century modest stuff, then the Penguin came up. A guy have seen at these auctions bid me up to $200, but stopped there.  After the biddings over he walks by where Im sitting says "Kofod Larsen".  Thanks buddy, got it.  
A long wait for the Milo, but I sit and watch, a lot of stuff I normally would bid on.  A Kip Stewert Decleration armchair sels for $185!!! DAMN way more than I would of paid for it. The Eames sell for $225 a piece!! DAMN Not looking good for the Milo.  
So the guy I'm sitting with who has only bought Thonet Moulded Plywood chairs up to this point says to me, I just wish they would get to the this row, pointing to the row of furntiure that included the Milo chair.  I said yeah there is some nice stuff there, mostly in jest.  He says I only want one thing.  I said yeah me too. With a sigh, and we both laughed.   
When it gets to the Milo chair the bidding was hot up to about $250, and at $350 the last guy (same guy that got the Eames chairs) paused, I bid $375, and he shook his head and walked away.  The guy who is bidding comes over to me and says, "I think thats Adrian Pearsall"  I said, "Nope its Milo Baughman" then pulled up the 1stdibs listing with two for $8,000 and he just shook his head and said "Well it probably built better anyways". I had done it $720 I had gotten the Penguin and the Milo, with an unknown beauty in the 113. It really was a triumphant feeling! 
Now I plan on selling the 113 (its too danty for my rugged family) for enough to keep the the Penguin and Milo Barrel for free!
So thanks to everyone on here who answers questions and helps us who are striving to gain a knowledge base!  Especially thanks to you Lief!!!!   

ReplyQuote
M_Dennis87
(@m_dennis87)
Noble Member
20/05/2015 12:48 am  

Nice work.
I'm curious to know what part of the country you're from because those are great prices.  I don't even bother with estate sales or auctions in my area because they're flooded by all of the dealers pushing and shoving everybody out of the way and rewriting the sign in sheets.  And when you finally find an item that's worth buying for a decent price they swarm you to try to buy it off you for $50 more than you paid just to turn around and sell it for ridiculous money.
Anyways, good stuff...

ReplyQuote
therye
(@therye)
Estimable Member
20/05/2015 5:07 am  

Columbus ohio 
every auction there are the vultures. I notice them in pottery and books cause they are sold in lots and they can scoop the one valuable item for $1, instead of paying the $5 that I paid. I just use it to know what might have value. With furniture, the market here is in the low tier. If you want to flip furniture wothout a store you have to live in the $20-250 range. 
this guys auctions aren't marketed well, plus there were some other stuff going on in the area, plus it rained all day. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register