Cart

salt/pepper mills

salt/pepper mills  

RSS

Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
11/07/2014 11:14 pm  

I have a question about Danish salt/pepper mills. The ones I have seen are pepper grinders with salt shakers. Were any sets made that used grinders for BOTH salt and pepper? We like to use larger salt crystals and grind those as well.

objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
12/07/2014 1:48 am  

------++++++??????
I'm pretty sure those crazy Danes have all the same tableware and utensils and kitchen things that "we" have, right? Do you mean something from a specific manufacturer?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
12/07/2014 1:56 am  

Dansk
Probably referring to Dansk JHQ pepper mills and the like. I haven't seen any sets are both salt and pepper mills, but you could just get duplicate pepper mills and not use the salt shaker part.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
12/07/2014 2:18 am  

Yes, referring to the Dansk...
Yes, referring to the Dansk salt/pepper mills. I had thought about purchasing separate ones but thought I would first ask if perhaps Dansk or another company might make teak salt mills/pepper mill instead of just pepper mill/salt shaker combos.

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
12/07/2014 3:49 am  

I use
Peugeot. The salt mill is for fleur de sel. The pepper mill is for peppercorns. The grinders inside are made by the car company and they continue to work for decades, even if you have guests that grind them "left-right, right-left" which is not really cool.

ReplyQuote
_ _
 _ _
(@sebastien-alaingmail-com)
12/07/2014 6:49 pm  

Never put salt in a pepper mill
It will rust. Usually pepper mill are not made out of stainless steel or ceramics since pepper will not absorb water as much as salt. This is especially true with the Peugeot (you can see that they aren't warranted against rust).
Also, contrary to pepper which will loose its taste once milled, keeping the salt as crystal has no effect on taste preservation. You could just grind it months before and use from the shaker.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
12/07/2014 7:07 pm  

Is there some reason to grind salt
at point of use? I've never understood this. You grind pepper because freshly ground pepper has so much more flavor than pepper that was ground weeks or months or years earlier. But salt is salt, as stated above.
I like those wooden salt cellars with pivot lids. Nothing to corrode or rust. But then, I'm fine with it not matching the pepper grinder.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
12/07/2014 8:05 pm  

Grinding salt
It's just fun. 🙂
Edit: Good points by roth.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
12/07/2014 9:00 pm  

A small tangent,
... but might I recommend Salt, A World History, by Mark Kurlansky, for anyone looking for a good book. While it may sound extremely boring, it is quite an insightful read for those who are interested in both world history and food history.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
12/07/2014 9:15 pm  

Here's
a fun salt shaker of mine.

ReplyQuote
brbeard
(@brbeard)
Noble Member
13/07/2014 5:45 am  

Not Dansk, but danish -...
Not Dansk, but danish - Nissen made matched grinders for both salt and pepper. These are what I use in my kitchen.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register