Cart

To refinish or not?...

To refinish or not? Milo Baughman Table  

RSS

cysco
(@cysco)
Eminent Member
15/10/2013 9:38 pm  

Just got my favorite dining table ever made. A Milo Baughman designed multi-wood table for Directional.
The first image is as it is today.
Second image is of a refinished example of the same table.
Question, should I refinish the table or leave it original?

waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2013 9:48 pm  

I had one
that was in aweful condition. I refinished it and was quite pleased with the results. However, the original pic looks darn good. Refinishing always has that potential of making something looks SHINY rather than honest with age.
I'd be pretty cautious.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2013 11:08 pm  

It is probably one of the...
It is probably one of the better looking specimens in existence in existing condition. It is probably already worth more than average given the condition and since it hasn't been refinished. And that is only going to get more true as time goes by.
So I say: NO

ReplyQuote
terryt
(@terryt)
Prominent Member
15/10/2013 11:23 pm  

Looks pretty darn good to me
Wow! What a beauty! No, I would not refinish...agree with Leif!

ReplyQuote
cysco
(@cysco)
Eminent Member
16/10/2013 2:32 am  

thanks for the feedback
definitely enforced my feelings of leaving it as is.
What's really amazing is that the original owner must have left both leaves in the table full time so the leaves are aged perfectly with the rest of the table. I've wanted this table since I first saw it in a book years ago. Best of all, I got it for a song!

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2013 3:52 am  

Looks fine to me too.
I would use it as it is.
It's a nice design, and one we've had before. However, I'm curious. What is it that appeals to you so much about this particular design more than others?

ReplyQuote
william-holden-...
(@william-holden)
Famed Member
16/10/2013 5:46 am  

Don't touch it-- !
It looks great.

ReplyQuote
cysco
(@cysco)
Eminent Member
16/10/2013 9:01 pm  

The appeal of this table?
That's a good question.
I love how Baughman made the focal point of the table the top. Everything except the top is minimal. The legs are intentionally black and simple. There are no intricate details. The top floats slightly above the base. the only thing for your eyes to focus on are the amazing contrasts and warmth of the wood. It's as if the wood is a painting suspended in air.
The wood choices and installation are also very impressive. I like to think that Baughman probably searched for the perfect veneers that provided an interesting contrast and quality. This acknowledgment that the wood itself is the art is also why I'm a huge George Nakashima fan.
There are many tables out there that can be admired from a distance as works of art. Beautiful form, shape and craftsmanship. However you don't see that beauty when you're sitting at them. Most tables look the same when you're actually using them.
There are very few tables where the true beauty is seen when you sit down with friends and family. Where the tabletop is a work of art that acts as the background for your meal. I like to think that was Baughman's intent.

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2013 10:13 pm  

Good answer
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register