Design Addict

Cart

Recently acquired?

Recently acquired?  

Page 6 / 15
  RSS

(@david-edelman)
27/07/2019 1:38 am  

@minimoma I've been trying to figure out for months how to restore that exact chair.  Would you be willing to post some more pictures of the side and back so I can see the detailing?  It's beautiful.  

The one I have is in original vinyl but I need a total of four and the ones I've found are the wood version.

1564184290-IMG_7702.jpg

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
27/07/2019 3:09 am  

Hi David, I did not document that rehab, that was just how I spent 8-12 hours of fun during a staycation awhile ago.  Also, I will only do a 100% rehab if the chair I find is in very poor condition but has good bones intact.

Your black original vinyl/Naugahyde looks like it is in excellent shape & if I understand you want to replicate that with 3 other chairs that you have so the 4 chairs all look the same.  

The upholstered version of this chair used a plywood base that is unfinished/rough which was meant to be hidden under the padding & upholstery.  Your 3 other chairs have the exposed plywood that was meant to be exposed.  I don't recommend covering those because once the staples are in place, there is no turning back & that rehab is permanent & cannot be reversed to the original condition but these are your chairs so it is your decision what you do with them.

It will not damage your black vinyl chair but you have to dismantle that chair very carefully to see how the upholstery was put together.  The back is secured by 4 screws, once removed, there are 2 screws (hidden from view) holding the back piece together, you'll see that there are 2 pieces of bent plywood that makes that back piece.  It is straight forward how the vinyl upholstery & piping detail was done.  All you have to do is replicate exactly how it was done (maybe not the tacks) that is up to you.  I used a handheld staple gun with 1/4" or 3/8" staples that I already have. 

If you want to see how the seat was done, you will need to partially remove the fabric cover under the seat & you'll see it is also easy to follow.  You can choose to do this without totally dismantling the chair.  I had to on mine, the frame had layers of bad paint job that need to be removed, sanded & refinished.

Your choice of material (the thickness/weight) is important for doing the corners without getting wrinkles.  The material I chose was a Maharam vinyl that feels more like polyurethane, very easy to work with.  Naugahyde & other heavy vinyl requires the use of heat gun to get the corners to look right.  That's what the pros do.

I can only do hand stitches so I can't help you with sewing machine questions.  This chair can be rehab by anyone without any sewing experience but you do need a good eye when putting the piping detail that it is always consistently placed & looks right just like the original, so constantly checking & re-checking is always a good idea.

I really recommend finding 3 more versions of this chair that is meant to be reupholstered instead of covering the 3 that is an all wood version for conservation reasons.  Again, that's up to you, they are your chairs.

This article from 2008 was helpful to me, maybe it might help you too.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-toreupholster-a-thonet-cha-51237

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
27/07/2019 3:15 am  

Also, I think the back piece of the all wood version is one piece instead of 2 in the upholstered version, so it may need a different strategy to get the upholstery to look like the one you have.

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
27/07/2019 10:43 am  

Just picked up this lovely little chair, not a designer piece but weighs a ton and is so very comfortable! 

1564217029-8292E1CC-EA32-43B0-8D8E-B7824D2C752A.jpeg

ReplyQuote
(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
29/07/2019 2:12 am  

Had this Klarinett rocker reupholstered and got my hands on the only nesting tables I’ve seen that would be keepers. I see them as Illum Wikkelsø for CFC but have never seen documentation. These are marked with a Selig medallion. Anyone know whether the attribution is correct? 

1564359390-FFB37C5C-2548-4CD7-B7EE-34CF1DF1D4A5.jpeg

ReplyQuote
(@ponyboy)
Noble Member
29/07/2019 2:18 am  

Nesting tables 

1564359513-3FA63E11-7309-400C-A005-E7FFEBCBB169.jpeg
1564359614-FF9B31F3-6BC8-44B1-BE04-EBCE7F167BA1.jpeg

tulips and Reamie liked
ReplyQuote
waldorf
(@waldorf)
Prominent Member
29/07/2019 3:14 pm  

Costela chair by Carlo Hauner & Martin Eisler

original cushions 

1564406071-BB76DB60-A94B-472A-8A92-3FBEA09E7AB5.jpeg

Reamie and Ponyboy liked
ReplyQuote
(@david-edelman)
29/07/2019 7:38 pm  

Minimoma that was extremely helpful information.  Thank you.  I'm going to try and find a couple of the upholstered version.  Worst case if I find only one I'll open it up and see if I can reproduce the plywood sections and then use those in place of the wood seats and backs for some un-upholstered ones.  

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
29/07/2019 10:58 pm  

@waldorf that’s the first time I’ve seen that chair, it’s fabulous! @ponyboy I wouldn’t be keeping them too, they’re impressive!

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
30/07/2019 12:46 am  

Found outside the continent, a Beomaster 1000 with white keys from 1967, Jacob Jensen first for Bang & Olufsen.  Although not the first to use transistors (Beomaster 900), it was B&O's first true high fidelity stereo receiver.  The white keys were later replaced with black.

1564440374-image.jpeg

ReplyQuote
waldorf
(@waldorf)
Prominent Member
30/07/2019 7:02 am  

original fabric 

ReplyQuote
waldorf
(@waldorf)
Prominent Member
30/07/2019 7:11 am  

pic's don't work 

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
30/07/2019 1:40 pm  

@ponyboy that was meant to be “would be keeping them” not “wouldn’t” 🙈

Ponyboy liked
ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
30/07/2019 4:17 pm  

@ponyboy . Love the chair. From the TV-serien by Møre Lenestolfabrikk ; Early 60's. ( which you probably already know!)

This particular model was designed by ML as per Mats Linder.

http://www.matslinder.no/2016/01/12/musikalske-mobler-fra-more/

I am sure it looks really well with your Madsen and Schubell chair. ( same upholstery on both? )

Lexi.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Fungus Mungus (USA)
(@fungus-mungus-usa)
Noble Member
31/07/2019 6:49 am  

Nice score minimoma! I love the Beomaster line. I was at our local resale store "The Last Chance Merchantile" (a store run by the local waste management facility) about 8 years ago when I spotted a whole Beomaster 8000 system, complete with cassette deck, turntable, receiver, and rosewood cabinet for $150. I called my friend and told him to get his truck over there and buy it before I did and had to face the wrath of wife. It came with non-original Sony speakers which he sold for $200 and then turned around and found the correct Beovox speakers that same afternoon on CL for $100. The SC80 cabinet was missing the original legs so I turned him onto a local shop in San Jose that sells knock off designer furniture and he picked up a black Nelson bench knockoff that fit the thing PERFECTLY.

The belts in the turntable and the tape deck had turned to jelly, so he bought replacement belts and refitted them. It works perfectly and is a thing of beauty!

fm

1564548571-IMG_2026.jpeg

tulips liked
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 15
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register