Cart

packing an eames mo...

packing an eames molded plywood chair for storage/eventual moving  

RSS

nerdgirlosity
(@nerdgirlosity)
04/07/2016 5:58 pm  

Hi,
I have an Eames molded plywood chair that I'm planning on putting in storage for a year or two, then moving to a new home. The storage unit will have a lot of space, though they might stack things and is climate controlled.
I was planning on first wrapping it in a sheet, then bubble wrap, then putting it in a shipping box stuffed with newspaper all around it to protect it from movement.
Is that the best way to pack the chair to preserve the wood and protect it? Or does anyone have any other suggestions.
Many thanks.

niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
04/07/2016 7:07 pm  

Eliminate the newspaper in lieu of styrofoam pellets or similar product and double box. Attempt to emulate the manufacturers packaging for optimal results in long term storage. Do not assume anything in a situation in which you have no control and prepare for any eventuality. Good luck

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
04/07/2016 9:53 pm  

Here is my chair packing strategy for shipping, which should be applicable for storage:
1) use two moving/shipping boxes, one inverted on top of the other so that sides are double thick for better protection.
2) add 2-3 flat pieces of corrugated cardboard on bottom (and sometimes top) for better protection.
3) cut chunks of thick foam (old cushions work great) into 6-8" blocks, then cut a slit in the middle of each. Slide leg ends in foam slits to create cushioned slippers.
4) Place additional foam at other edges of chair that will come in contact with inside of box. Shrink wrap as required.
5) Add empty cardboard boxes of varying size to fit snugly into remaining voids in bid that could result in chair movement.
6) close box and tape.
You've now created a shipping box where the chair is "floating" securely away from the box enclosure. I find this is a safer packing strategy that filling with peanuts, as the feet and edges are not as well protected in the latter. Plus, I hate dealing with messy peanuts.
For your case where boxes may be stored on top, I would create cardboard posts for the corners of the box and definitely add additional flat layers for the top face so that the sit in the corner posts. This would transfer weight of boxes on top to the posts rather than onto the top of your backrest.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register