[Sticky] New Forum Moderation  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
04/11/2021 9:37 pm  

Hi all!

Great news, @Elizabeth from DesignAddict has made @Herringbone and I voluntary moderators. We now have the ability to get rid of some truly infuriating posts and threads. If you spot anything, feel free to @ one or both of us.

I expect our moderation will be entirely about getting rid of spam/bots/astroturfers, rather than asking people to behave. I think historically the place has functioned well without written rules, the unwritten stuff like ‘say thanks, after someone's identified a piece’ or ‘don't ask for an appraisal’ will always end being taught. If you disagree, please say.

Having said that, historically the place has always desperately needed moderation. Even before the migration. I think this is an exciting change for the forum. Maybe new eyes that are cast over it, won’t see an abandoned, spam-riddled mess and might stay and engage.

@Herringbone mentioned earlier today there's some threads started by bots that have been posted in by real members. I am happy to get rid of them when nothing of note has been posted, but we don't know how everyone feels about that? I will admit, on the old forum the bots did occasionally provide some highlights for me. Well maybe not the bots per se, but certainly some responses.

It would be at the discretion of @Elizabeth and DesignAddict, but I feel like the more the merrier at the moment if anyone else feels like volunteering to moderate?

Here’s to a less spammy future!

ja.keegan, Browkin, lexi and 5 people liked
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
04/11/2021 10:27 pm  

This is great news and long overdue.  One suggestion I'd have is to ask members to include some basic information about pieces when asking for IDs:

1.  Quality photos (must be under 2mb).  Multiple photos can be added, after initial post, by selecting "Edit" and "Choose File"

2.  Photos of any marks, tags, or stamps

3.  Country where piece was acquired or any info on its origin.  

4. Any info known about types of wood, metal, upholstery, or other materials used

5.  Measurements

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
05/11/2021 12:53 am  

Congratulations!  

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
05/11/2021 1:39 pm  

@kyle-barrett, @herringbone,

Thank you both for stepping up! Certainly you will make a capable and thoughtful team.

Be sure to keep track of your hours, though, so that you may be properly feted at the annual member's banquet. Here's to our grand and illustrious Moderators without whom the Forum would be lost!

I can imagine instances when it might be less awkward to contact the Moderators in a non-public way. If necessary, should the 'Report' function be used for this?

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
05/11/2021 2:13 pm  

@tktoo2 Interesting question. We have not yet received a full briefing on the capabilities of the system, but we‘ll find a way of internal communication and let you know.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
05/11/2021 11:28 pm  

I think we should start reporting some s**t and see what happens!  

ReplyQuote
frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
06/11/2021 5:25 pm  

This is very good news! I've been lurking on here a bit, but was mostly exasperated by having to sift through so much bot garbage. 

And many thanks to @kyle-barrett and @herringbone for taking on the mantle of moderators.

I'm happy to see you all again and look forward to a forum with new life.

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
07/11/2021 10:51 am  

Is it only for me, but somehow the time a reply was posted is rarely accurate ?

ReplyQuote
frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
07/11/2021 4:43 pm  

@andersen Yes, but I've always assumed it is local time wherever the site is hosted. Belgium, I think.

Edit: I just checked the time of this post against the time in Belgium and that is the case.

ReplyQuote
Andersen
(@andersen)
Noble Member
07/11/2021 5:46 pm  

OK, I meant if you look at the page with all the forum sections, and it tells you how long ago an answer was posted. That usually it's very off for me...

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
07/11/2021 7:56 pm  

@andersen You’re right. Often times it doesn’t make sense. Last post can be „one minute ago“ for a couple of hours, and it only shifts when a new post appears. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

Andersen liked
ReplyQuote
JohnJohn
(@johnjohn)
11/11/2021 12:19 pm  

If spam is concerned, no question, get rid of it.
I hope, however, that no petty-bourgeois code of behavior will be introduced here, a behavior correctness in the sense of the new moderators.

A forum has to be exciting and controversial, otherwise it's boring.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
11/11/2021 1:27 pm  

@Johnjohn No, there are no plans whatsoever to introduce a petty-bourgeois code of behavior. But good  behavior is appreciated.

ReplyQuote
user_242
(@user_242)
02/01/2022 2:28 pm  

Hello all. im new. I have only posted a thread once on a forum and that was a long time ago. Im not sure how to do it. I posted it on an existing topic(Vintage lamps (Italian?), but was politely asked to remove it from their post. Can you tell me howm to post a new thread.

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
06/02/2022 10:11 pm  

Wow, I came back here after a long absence and was so glad to see so much more life! The bot ridden forum had driven me away, and there was only so much pandemic reamie could handle. Also delighted to see the new moderators, thank you @kyle-barrett and @herringbone for such stellar work! Looking forward to catching up here Ana I hope everyone is well! 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register