(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
12/07/2017 12:51 am  

fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
17/07/2017 12:04 am  

Still?

https://www.designaddict.com/forum/General-discussion/suggestions-bedroom...

I still have my Modernica Case Study bed, and I can still recommend it unreservedly.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
20/07/2017 7:08 pm  

The Case Study bed is nice but I want something that actually holds the mattress in place but not my cup of tea. A bit too masculine looking for me.

Has anyone ever had any dealings with Peter Deeble? I located him on etsy. He has some really nice beds that he has designed and constructed (right up my alley). And he is willing to tweak the design to work in my space. He has an option that has storage drawers under the bed. This would be ideal in my apartment. I have one teeny closet and a tiny linen closet and that is it so any extra storage is a plus.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
20/07/2017 7:20 pm  

Arne you going to use a boxspring? Or is the foundation of the bed wood slats (with plenty of air space above the trundles)? If the underside of your mattress can not breath very bad things can happen.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
20/07/2017 9:15 pm  

And yes, still LOL. We had put off updating the bedroom because we were considering moving and would have bought a larger bed had we moved. But I have finally convinced my other half that we need a new bed. We might still move but we will have furniture for guest room if we do. I am not taking that hated West Elm bed with us. Too many almost broken toes.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
20/07/2017 9:16 pm  

I believe the Peter Deeble bed has slats but I can check. That is a very good point.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
20/07/2017 9:18 pm  

I checked, The bed uses slats. He has some very very good reviews on etsy. Was just curious if anyone has ever heard anything about him.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
21/07/2017 4:15 pm  

First, I TOTALLY agree with you about platform beds that stick out past the mattress. Hate them with a passion! And platform beds with no toekick or whatever it's called---where it's a solid box sitting on the floor, whose dimensions are the same as the mattress. You need to be able to stand with your shins against the bedframe when making the bed or folding laundry, etc.

So Peter Deeble avoids those issues with his bedframes but here are several other things about them that I don't care for so much.

One, the big gap between the headboard and the mattress. My pillow would fall in there, guaranteed.

Two, the way the drawers are visible on at least one of them at the end of the bed. Maybe he was going for the function is form look or something, but to me it just looks clunky.

Three, the look of basic dimensional lumber on most of them---there is some shaping and styling of elements but the overall look is pretty boxy and vaguely flatpack-ish.

The attached nightstands on some of them aren't integrated into the overall design very well. They're just stuck on.

Whew---I know, very opinionated! But I spent a lot of time bedframe-shopping up until a few years ago and also lived with a cheap short-term platform bed that I ended up hating a LOT.

What I finally sprung for and which I love very, very much was a vintage teak platform bed, Danish-made. There are a lot of these around and the full size ones don't sell as well as queen or king, which is good for you! I have the exact one in the biggest photo in this post about them:

http://midcenturymodernist.com/2008/furniture-objects/bedroom/more-teak-...

It has four large drawers on casters underneath. I ditched the original flat slats and use arched beech slats that are adjustable tension-wise, from IKEA. I have a latex foam mattress (do not get me even started on mattresses), partly because it's super comfy without having to be really thick, so I have kept the low profile. I finally have the perfect bed. For me, that is.

(If you are at all interested, do a google image search for "teak platform bed Denmark" to find the few photos of them, made up in actual rooms. Most photos are of the bare bed frame and they do look better with their clothes on. Oh, also---they're heavy and hard to move once in place. With a very heavy latex mattress, impossible to move.)

ReplyQuote
Norman Chaney
(@norman-chaney)
Estimable Member
21/07/2017 7:58 pm  

Thank you all for discussing/showing your beds!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register