Madsen and Schubell

Madsen and Schubell  

Page 8 / 16
  RSS

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
22/04/2020 11:54 pm  

@lexi Well, that is weird. First of all I get the feeling that Madsen and Schubell weren't really concerned with marketing and public relations. Appart from that one article in the Dutch newspaper @wesemael found, I haven't seen any advert or press release regarding (danish) Madsen and Schubell production. This would be the first one, which is nice. And its Mobilia, which is even nicer, because it proabably was the best informed furniture Magazine at the time. But how come they mention Leif Alring? Three possibilities. Furniture Index made a mistake - wouldn't be the first. Mobilia made a mistake - I don't know how probable that is. Or Leif Alring did indeed design for Madsen and Schubell and we (and Preben) didn't know. It would be nice to see the Mobilia reference. Does anybode have Number 133? 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
24/04/2020 3:24 am  

Very interesting!  I think it could be pretty easy to forget that in 1966 a guy named Leif Alring drew this chair. 1966 was a year of many painful changes. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
24/04/2020 1:29 pm  

@lexi @leif-ericson Preben sais, the chair is his fathers design and he has never heard the name Leif Alring in connection with Madsen and Schubell. Would still be interesting to see Mobilia 133.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
21/06/2020 2:44 pm  

@herringbone your post 06-09-2019 i did see several severin hansen tables marked bovenkamp 

for example  2073 at https://www.veilinghuispeerdeman.nl/main.php?mode=find&id=126&q=&category=Design

however never artcleor add(as mentioned before)

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
21/06/2020 6:05 pm  

@wesemael Thanks a lot for remembering! But I now know the story of Severin Hansen and it is clear to me that Bovenkamp didn’t produce any Severin Hansen designs, they just imported the tables he designed for Haslev (or should I say „they“ since we are speaking of father and son?). The people behind Bovenkamp seem to have been very fond of Danish furniture. They visited furniture fairs in Copenhagen in order to find business partners. That’s where they met Arnold Madsen and Henry Schubell and also made contact with other companies.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
21/06/2020 7:45 pm  

By the way: Here is a photo that we should have had a year ago. It’s not the sharpest picture in the world but it shows the production facilities of Madsen and Schubell in the late fifties. And the chair, that‘s produced in the background is ... You‘ve already guessed it. 

1592761518-0C5EC0EA-4D59-488E-93BA-2DDA1EB97C89.jpeg

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
21/06/2020 7:46 pm  

And here‘s another one. We knew the chair, but we didn’t know the sofa. Or love seat?

1592761675-909E1B88-FDF4-47F2-B1F0-0FAF0CEF5C14.jpeg

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
21/06/2020 8:12 pm  

@herringbone. Great photos. How on earth did you find them? Looks like the Vik and Blindheim production of model 4, but as a  sofa/ "love seat"? Interesting.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
21/06/2020 8:58 pm  

I didn't really find them. They came to me 😉

The love seat is more likely a Madsen and Schubell production. Don't think, Vik and Blindheim made such oddities.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
23/06/2020 5:13 am  

Actually I think we can say definitively that the loveseat is a Madsen and Schubell production.  And on a side note I have now looked at enough Arnold Madsen chairs to understand his taste in fabric better.  He liked very unusual and interesting fabric. It is something of a signature.  

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
23/06/2020 2:18 pm  

It seems now, that we have to add another chair to list of Madsen & Schubell productions. After many conversations with Henry Schubell's sons and also with Arnold Madsen's daughter, we consider it proven that the chair known as Clam or Musling is in fact not designed by Philip Arctander as assumed but by Arnold Madsen. It was the first chair of theirs. The one, that started it all. Arnold, at that time 37 years old and owner of a little upholstery workshop in Copenhagen, had worked at it for quite some time and made a plaster model which he took to several cabinetmakers, but they all turned the job down. Only Henry Schubell, then a foreman at Winther & Winding, was up for the task, which was not easy to execute. The story is told in Prebens and Flemmings history of Madsen and Schubell at the beginning of the thread. But they left out which chair it was, probably because of the assumed controversy.

I just list it here. Maybe the whole Clam story could also be a thread on its own, but for now here it is: MS model 1. 

1592914724-PhilipArctanderclamchair1.jpg

lexi and wesemael liked
ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
23/06/2020 2:24 pm  

And thanks by the way to @ponyboy for sharing the picture of the teak recliner a year ago. It took us quite far. 🙂

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
23/06/2020 2:51 pm  

And lets not forget @wesemael who was the first to suggest that the initials MS might stand for Madsen and Schubell .

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
23/06/2020 3:42 pm  

thanks @lexi  i found another add off bovenkamp part of the dansk still mobel serie wich in the add as the other adds send before is atributed to M&S out of 1962 but different is style

1592919740-bovenkamp62-kopie-kopie.jpg
1592919778-bovenkamp62-kopie.jpg

Herringbone and lexi liked
ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
23/06/2020 4:55 pm  

Thanks @wesemael. Here is a nice picture of the Bovenkamp production facilities I got. It's from Arnold Madsen's photos. He was pretty close with the Bovenkamp owners, I was told that the families established a friendship and went to see each other every now and then. 

1592924137-bovenkamp.png

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 16
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register