Madsen and Schubell

Madsen and Schubell  

Page 14 / 16
  RSS

Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
12/12/2021 7:09 pm  

They pop up in the wild over here in the UK too.

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
12/12/2021 8:22 pm  

I dont think they are bovenkamp never saw one marked never saw one in a bovenkamp ad/publication  they are i think  a fristho chair wich i will make  a foto when the sun is up  also i have seen them attributed  topform by a reliable source  chair one the beige one is sold by neef  (cousin) louis  who is frequently creative in attributions  (likeTante (aunt) Eef also a dutch dealer dont think they are related)

the fristho chair here in catawiki also in the book 

https://www.catawiki.com/nl/l/4334555-fristho-stoelen-6-stuks

Bo liked
ReplyQuote
Bo
 Bo
(@bo)
Eminent Member
13/12/2021 11:33 am  

thank you!

The chair is very similar indeed.  And the left chair is offered a lot as Bovenkamp too!

1639391598-bovenkamp-fristho.jpg

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
13/12/2021 2:19 pm  

@bo  i see you have the fristho book so already have the foto i would send. Probably the seller cant read You could try contact catawiki i know the design expert christian plat knows fristho very well his family worked there and he owns  a lot of fristho he was also involved in the expo frisian design

i for the moment consider it fristho although the legs are less refined then the chair in your foto

ReplyQuote
MCA
 MCA
(@mca)
20/12/2021 10:30 am  

Does anyone know what the story is with the name 'Acton Schubell'? The designer's real name was Henry Schubell, but he is often called Acton on the internet.

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
20/12/2021 11:29 am  

@herringbone. Bat signal.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
20/12/2021 7:37 pm  

Thanks, @lexi, but I'm not sure my answer is better than anyone's 😀. @mca The name Acton was just made up. I don't know who came up with it. And strangely enough, Acton was not the only wrong name attributed to Madsen and Schubell. They had quite a long list of wrong names attached to them.

The background might be that Madsen and Schubell were well known as a company, they published ads after all and later the company also used an MS logo on their chairs. However, the first names of the two owners were never mentioned. But names are important for dealers, they give a story to the pieces. Therefore, some salesman will have come up with suitable first names. But it is really astonishing that the first name Ib was used for Madsen. Ib Madsen was indeed the son of Arnold Madsen and actually the owner of the company from the mid-70s. He may not have designed any of the classic Madsen/Schubell chairs, but at least he existed. An Acton Schubell has never existed.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
MCA
 MCA
(@mca)
21/12/2021 3:04 pm  

Thanks for the answer!

ReplyQuote
maleforsphx
(@maleforsphx)
28/04/2022 3:03 am  

Thank you all for this thread, many have benefitted from your shared knowledge. I am curious about Arnold Madsen’s swivel/tilt mechanism, which I have seen described as an original design of his. I have owned an MS20 with this mechanism that allows for reclining or locking into positions. I now have a chair with a similar bracket, along with an adjustable ottoman, although they share the same 4-legged bases as the ‘70’s-‘80’s Model 68 and Model 72. On my new chair the mechanism is labeled “Made in Denmark Pat Nr 105292”. Anyone know if this is Madsen’s? I have not been able to find this patent number on any searches, but Google results so far are MS chairs only. Of course it is possible, and probable, that this mechanism was used by multiple manufacturers. Do any of you recognize this as an MS chair? Or perhaps recognize it as by another maker?

1651107806-resize.jpg

ReplyQuote
maleforsphx
(@maleforsphx)
28/04/2022 3:05 am  

Bracket

1651107951-resize-2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
28/04/2022 8:57 pm  

@maleforsphx Thanks for the photo. I'm pretty sure that the mechanism is the one Arnold Madsen invented and I think it was never used anywhere else. If that's correct, the chair would also be an MS design.

It certainly looks like it was designed/made in the 70s, which makes a definitive answer difficult. By then, Arnold's son Ib had taken over the company and he tried to go different ways. He hired other designers and released quite a range of furniture, most of it to lesser success. The company enventually went bankrupt in the 80s. A couple years later, Ib Madsen started a new company under the same name, reproduced some of the older models and ran it until his retirement in 2005, I think. The swivel/tilt designs were his focus then, but the output of this later period hasn't been documented very well. All in all I'd say it's highly likely that the chair was made by Madsen and Schubell in the 70s, maybe 80s. I'll see if I can find out for sure.   

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
07/06/2022 11:06 am  

@herringbone @ lexi

found another Bovenkamp falsly attributed to Kofod  different then the other Bovenkamp falsly attributed to him Also an add were in my view it is showed 

1654592763-bovenkamp-not-kofod-B.jpg
1654592899-bovenkamp-not-kofod-B2.jpg
1654593049-not-kofod-2.jpg
1654593113-bovenkamp-not-kofod-A.jpg

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
07/06/2022 11:56 am  

@wesemael the one thats shown in the ad is the „original“ one. The one you posted appears to be a development. But it remains absolutely unclear to me a as to whether these developments were done by Madsen and Schubell or by Bovenkamp. The collaboration between Madsen and Schubell ended around 1965, Bovenkamp continued to produce the furniture after that as far as I remember. But it’s interesting anyway thanks for posting. 

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
07/06/2022 12:01 pm  

@herringbone thanks for the explanation 

ReplyQuote
maleforsphx
(@maleforsphx)
03/08/2022 10:58 pm  

MS-40. This is an ad from the Aug. 1966 issue of Mobilia (#133). This is the same chair I have, which I posted about in April asking about the mechanism. Fun to come across this today.

1659560283-IMG_6959.jpg

Herringbone and lexi liked
ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 16
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register