Cart

important early des...

important early design theory  

RSS

duulII
(@duulii)
06/08/2007 2:04 am  

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can guide me to some essential early design texts. I'm talking Bauhaus and earlier 🙂
Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks

HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2007 3:36 am  

er Vitruvius?
Do you have...
er Vitruvius?
Do you have any good links to info about the Ulm school?
cheers, HP

ReplyQuote
duulII
(@duulii)
06/08/2007 5:28 am  

no I've never heard of the...
no I've never heard of the ulm school. Do you have some links?

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2007 7:46 am  

he he I was asking if you...
he he I was asking if you had ny good ones, The Ulm Hochschule fer Gestaltung was post Bauhaus and was pretty influential (at Braun anyway) Luminairies include Max Bill, Otl Aicher, Dieter Rams (?) Hans Gugelgot, Claude Schnaidt, Inge Scholl etc etc
They had a precise methodology which is hard to find info on, Form + Zweit had an issue dedicated to it some time ago.
They were criticised for being soul- less navel gazers who ended up in a creative & intellectual blind alley. But they made some great things.

ReplyQuote
dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2007 9:54 am  

Now there is a design logo I'd like to see...
souless naval gazers in a creative blind alley. 🙂

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2007 10:38 am  

Don't get me wrong, I think...
Don't get me wrong, I think heaps of the work from Ulm was great stuff, Max Bill clocks for Junghans are brilliant. I think also maybe they were a bit too Utopian? Rams really moderated things at Braun.
So hard to find good information on the school, it really shows up the limits of the net when you try and find something a little bit off the track.

ReplyQuote
azurechicken (USA)
(@azurechicken-usa)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2007 9:04 pm  

ULM DESIGN
pub by M.I.T.is a good one...

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@zwipamoohotmail-com)
Noble Member
07/08/2007 12:15 am  

one of the
standard books is 'industrial design' by john heskett; to understand how bauhaus was born the story starts earlier; with the industrial revolution, mass production, machine aestetics, standardization, arts & crafts, jugendstill, de stijl, ...

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2007 10:11 am  

I have mentioned this before...
but for those who read french, the catalogue of the Centre Georges Pompidou exhibition on the HfG Ulm is a very good document to.Especially Otl Aicher's description of his first years at the HfG Ulm and the differences between the bauhaus and Ulm.
It has always amazed me how succesful the HfG Ulm was in educating young people. Compared with the Bauhaus...most succesful through it's teachers...Ulm has been a source of excellent designers for many years. People like Stephan Lengyel,Alexander Neumeister,Andries Van Onck, Hans von Klier,Rudolfo Bonetto, Dieter Raffler,Michel Millot,Herbert Ohl, Hans Roericht,etc. etc.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register