Design Addict

Cart

how to tell if a re...

how to tell if a recent Wassily chair is real?  

RSS

dentist089
(@gerd-wetzelgmx-de)
12/10/2010 1:07 am  

Dear Experts,

i am in this situation:
i just bought a wassily chair from a official / licensed Knoll shop in germany and my chair ONLY has the Marcel Breuer Signature stamped in the leather on the underside of the seat.
There is NO Knoll Stamp in the metal anywhere to be seen, no serial number and no Marcel Breuer signature stamped in the metal frame either.

The chair was an exhibition piece for the shop, slightly used, so i got it for a good price. Overall quality is good, leather thick, nice caps, screws hex etcpp..

But now i find it very confusing to buy a chair at a Knoll shop and later find different information about a KNOLL STAMP that should be on the frame on the Knoll homepage.
However, on the receipt it says it is a Knoll.

Here my questions:
Is it possible that there are different models, maybe for the US and europe?
Do all recent Knoll models have a stamp in the frame?
Any clues anybody?

Thanks in advance,

Gerd

(@jazzbosympatico-ca)
Famed Member
12/10/2010 2:06 am  

I assume that contacting...
I assume that contacting Knoll would provide requested info.
To my knowledge, in the U.S. Knoll has been stamping the chairs for the last several years (how long I do not know).

ReplyQuote
Zanone
(@zanone)
Trusted Member
12/10/2010 7:49 am  

Gavina
I have a pair of heavy Wassily chairs that were in my brother's Olivetti dealership in the 70s. They have a foil label on the back or the seat frame that says "Gavina" and numbered 7333. Label also shows "Wassily" and "Knoll". I guess this means that Gavina commissioned the chair design to be sold. Don't know for sure
From Ask.com:
The origins of this Italian furniture-manufacturing firm lay in Bologna, where Dina Gavina began furniture production in 1949, although the company was not formally established until 1960. Gavina sought to explore a more artistically charged yet contemporary aesthetic that provided an alternative to the functional aspects of Rationalism, the progressive language of the Italian avant-garde in the interwar years. Notable designs commissioned by Gavina included the lyrical, flowing form of Achille and Piergiacomo Castiglione's Sanluca chair (1960), Marco Zanuso's Lamda chair (1963), and Afra and Tobia Scarpa's Bastiano sofa (1961, later produced by Knoll International). In 1962 the company also attracted favourable attention through its reproduction of the 1920s classic tubular steel furniture by the Bauhaus teacher Marcel Breuer. Gavina was well connected in the Italian design world and played an influential role in its development and was a co-founder with Cesare Cassina of the innovative Italian lighting manufacturer Flos. In 1968 Gavina sold his company to Knoll International.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register