how do you report these Ebay sellers  

Page 4 / 5
  RSS

Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
07/02/2014 11:06 pm  

eBay has gone full on ridiculous...
This seller is one of many. Check out the lineup from another seller linked below. Obviously new Girard fabric presented as vintage at prices beyond stupid. Some people just have no shame. But at least they never seem to sell anything...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&item=380835673035&pt=LH_DefaultDom...

ReplyQuote
Steve Waller
(@swalkervuaol-com)
08/02/2014 1:07 am  

Incredibly stupefying Selller for sure......
Love all the references this seller has to "paint in very good conditions" when it is painfully clear that it's newly and sloppily painted. Plus the ridiculous attributions as well. Amazed these things sell

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@zmgriffithhotmail-com)
Eminent Member
09/02/2014 4:25 pm  

Unintended Consequences
My problem with that particular eBay seller is that the deluge of fantastically overpriced refurbs they're offering WILL NEVER SELL.
We might feel a bit of schadenfreude at the notion of their inventory piling up, but that inventory remains on eBay for all to see - including anyone who finds a funny looking chair in their grandmas attic and checks eBay for a price before throwing it on craigslist.
Everyone here loves design - but we love a "great deal!" just as much.
Sellers who clownishly inflate prices influence (fool?) casual, low-information sellers into thinking their chair belongs in the Smithsonian instead of in a rec-room.
This practice hurts us, one and all. That seller is irresponsible, un-serious, and is worthy of our loathing.
We've all come across a busted-up Bertoia diamond chair for $950.00, right? It's coated in rust and is a spiderweb of broken welds. You mention the condition to the owner of "The Brass Armadillo," or whatever the depressing antique mall is called, and he says - without fail - "Oh yeah, that's an 'Ames Chair.' They go for thousands on eBay."
No, sir. No, they do not. But - I know exactly why you think so.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
09/02/2014 10:57 pm  

one of his many overpriced Eames listings...
had a rather strange "warning" at the end, saying that any frivolous or antagonistic emails sent to him would be met with a swift report to ebay. So I am guessing that he is painfully aware of of the ridiculousness of his whole ploy, whatever it is.
I too have been wondering what the point is... if it is a spoof, is it just to flood ebay with a bunch of high prices so that some other stuff might look more reasonable? What a waste of time.
I'm really sick of his ugly carpet too.
(referring to Lunchbox's link three posts up, and post above)

ReplyQuote
M_Dennis87
(@m_dennis87)
Noble Member
10/02/2014 6:35 pm  

One thing you can do without...
One thing you can do without being "frivolous or antagonistic" is to ask a question about the item. This way any person that views the item can see the question. He can't report you for asking a question.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2014 6:53 pm  

The questions are only visible
if the seller chooses to make them visible.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2014 10:17 pm  

Overpriced the things may be...
Overpriced the things may be or seem, the seller being currently discussed does have a whole lot of uncommon and terribly desirable fabrics and colors on the classics...
I can see the logic in the approach of holding out for one's desired price, but of course that means the items may not sell quickly or even at all. They will, however, probably sell EVENTUALLY, and I guess if the seller is in a position to wait then that's that. I imagine there's been a pretty good investment to acquire all those checkerboard shell chairs and the like. (I'd sure like to have one of those.)

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2014 11:07 pm  

That might be true...
If the fabric were actually vintage.
Even still, that pricing is for fools. And this coming from someone who won't deny playing a part in inflating the Eames market...

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2014 11:12 pm  

Surely
Surely there' s a huge difference between overpricing an item and misrepresenting an item?
Pricing is up to the seller and buyer, whereas misleading the buyer is a different matter altogether, and the point of the thread?

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
11/02/2014 12:16 am  

It's both, rob...
Girard upholstery looks new and I'd bet the house the majority of their "rare" stuff are marraiges at best and fakes at worst. As was stated previously, it's alot of high priced refurb not being represented as such.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
11/02/2014 12:20 am  

Ah
ok.. sorry, thought it was just silly prices
As we were 😉

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
11/02/2014 1:11 am  

making the prices even more silly...
...is the fact that half the time those chairs have some kind of fatal flaw. Like the typical breaks in the corner of the shell seat, or drilled holes, or some other deal killer. I guess 3 times the price isn't enough, so it has to be broken as well.
Usually you have to read every last word in the description to find mention of the flaw, and comb every photo to see it. (Which I did for awhile, just for fun.)
Now I just look for the signature carpet and say "oh fuck no, not again", and keep scrolling.

ReplyQuote
Huge2na
(@huge2na)
Trusted Member
12/02/2014 4:57 am  

You know this could most...
You know this could most likely be reported to the secret service or FBI art fraud team
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2008/march/artscam_032108

ReplyQuote
Joshua F (USA)
(@joshua-f-usa)
Prominent Member
24/07/2014 9:36 am  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17137...http://www.ebay.com/itm/171377026132?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-EAMES-PINK-SKY-BLUE-Fiberglass-Armshell-Rocker...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAMES-KELLY-GREEN-Fiberglass-Arm-Shell-ROCKER-He...
She is again upping the prices to a level I am embarrassed to even look at. I think I have been not allowed to send questions because I have sent enough "where do these prices come from" over the years.
I rarely give a shit about what people do with their inventory. It is just hoarding and most of it not selling EVER after years of seeing that stupid 10,000 Pink shell on a new rocker base. The prices are arbitrary and change from month to month...and the knowledge base is pedestrian at best. They read a couple books, so what... but has no shame is selling a contact shell worth 600 bucks for 5k. Like seriously GFY. I swear newbies look at these listings and think they are normal there are so many of them.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
24/07/2014 10:12 am  

Wow
Only $800 for shipping too.
The pink shell looks kind of suspect; in some photos, the color appears to be closer to red. I'd want to see more photos under natural lighting.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register