Page 1 / 2
  RSS

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
20/06/2020 3:50 pm  

Another catalogue find; Anton Dam, late 50's

3 chairs designed by  P. Kirkegaard ?? ( models 42, 26 and ?? ) Is he related to Erik ?? So little info about either of these people or Hong. ( Image 1)

A Google search produced an advert for Hong where a P. Kirkegaard is mentioned as a " repræsentanter"   (Image 2)

Models 41 , 42 

To keep this short ,I will just post images of Models that I have found on the net, that have a Hong stamp/label and/or a stamped number.

Models 41/42 Images 1 and 2.

Model 26.  Image 3;  These chairs come up a lot in the US with an " imported by DUX " stamp. Usually described as a "ribbon" chair. Also discussed on Forum before; http://old.designaddict.com/forum/Identification/Kai-kristiansen

Model 52.  Image 4;  You find these described as " compass " chairs. You will also find these with the Dux import labels

Model 49b. Image 5;

Model 58. Image 6; To my mind this is possibly the blurry one in the AD catalogue 🤔 ; also found one with an Asbjorn Mobler  ( Danish retailer ) on the chair as well

DFI shows a model 43  and two unknowns. One looks like a variation of models 41,42 & 43 and the other looks very like Model 49b

That's all for now folks.

1592661000-anton-dam-catalogue-P-kikegaard-chairs-mystery.jpg
1592661028-hong-stolefabrik-kirkegaard-chairs.jpg
1592661288-ribbon-dux-ek-chaie.jpg
1592661327-model-52-chair-that-has-dux-label.jpg
1592661416-49b-chairs.jpg
1592661487-ek-model-58-maybe-chair.jpg
This topic was modified 4 years ago 6 times by lexi

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

tktoo2 liked
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
21/06/2020 10:52 pm  

Thanks for the info @lexi. As you know, I'm very interested in Danish furniture but sometimes even more in the people. I have tried to get info on Erik Kirkegaard but what I found was very thin and I was not even sure that I found the right Erik. Now the P. helps a lot. The Kirkegaards were in fact a family from Thisted where master cabinetmaker Jens Kirkegaard was married to Erika Kirkegaard. They had twelve children. Peter was the third, born in 1891. Erik was the youngest, born in 1905. Both were trained as cabinetmakers, Erik in Holbaek,  Peter even became a master cabinetmaker. but between 1925 and 1930 both moved to Copenhagen. Peter started working as "Representant", Erik had joined him by 1940, selling furniture and cellulose products. I guess they worked together closely, since both lived in Gentofte.  What happened then, I can only guess. They probably met Ernst or Alfred or Paul Blomhoj from Hong Stolefabrik and started selling their furniture. And because both were cabinetmakers and knew what a chair had to be like, they drew their own designs for them. Peter died in 1969, Erik in 1991.

Was that the kind of information you were looking for? 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
21/06/2020 11:01 pm  

And regarding model 26: We should probably open up a thread for chairs with this kind of rounded back rest. I have no idea how many different models were designed and produced in the fifties and sixties, but it must have been more than ten and they all kind of look alike and get attributed to Kai Kristiansen which in most cases is simply wrong. In my opinion it might be worthwile to create a reference thread for identification of these.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
22/06/2020 9:33 am  
Posted by: Herringbone

And regarding model 26: We should probably open up a thread for chairs with this kind of rounded back rest. I have no idea how many different models were designed and produced in the fifties and sixties, but it must have been more than ten and they all kind of look alike and get attributed to Kai Kristiansen which in most cases is simply wrong. In my opinion it might be worthwile to create a reference thread for identification of these.

@herringbone; Good idea.What do you think would be the most appropriate title/ heading to use for this "reference" thread ?

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
22/06/2020 1:10 pm  

@lexi - no idea. Kai Kristiansen and not Kai Kristiansen? Chairs with a rounded backrest (thats a task for a native speaker)?Supposedly Kai Kristiansen? Kai and lookalikes? The who is who of Kai Kristiansen type chairs? Feel free to open one. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
22/06/2020 1:13 pm  

By the way: The info on Erik and Peter Kirkegaard is deduced from various census records. Just in case you wondered. 

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
22/06/2020 1:50 pm  

@herringbone; Will give it some thought and come up with a plan so that it will hopefully be user friendly!!

I spent some time this morning compiling images of that style chair. The job now will be to put some order to the list.

ps; At this stage you must be very familiar with census records; I don't know if I would have the patience. 😉 I'm glad the "P" was helpful.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
23/06/2020 5:10 am  

Nice!  I have always wondered about the mystery of P. and Erik Kirkegaard. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
25/06/2020 5:44 pm  

@lexi How do we want to prepare the chair thread? Would it be still userfriendly if we discussed the origin of certain chairs in the thread? Should we only post pictures with chairs we are absolutely 100 percent sure who designed them? But that could be problematic. There are quite a few which I am not sure about and would like to discuss.  And it's always been great fun to find out things together. You have ideas?

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
25/06/2020 6:35 pm  

@herringbone. I apologise for not getting around to starting this other thread. I have been busy at work and catching up on tasks/chores that I have been putting on the " long finger"!!! Also I did not want to interfere with the interesting info you have been adding re Madsen and Schubell and Severin Hansen. 😏 

However,I have been thinking about how to approach this; I also thought we should stick to chairs that we are, as you say, 100% sure of. On the other hand it would be good to allow contributors the opportunity to post similar chairs that they would like more information on.So I feel the title of the thread would need to be specific enough to limit the number of random, unrelated ID requests but encourage people to discuss or add relevant information.IMHO

Currently I have a number of chairs saved in a folder,with this curved, rounded back ; (similar but not the same "slim" profile as the Hong  model 26) which has inspired the idea of this potential new thread.:- currently @ 6  makers /designers with documentation or stamps/labels; Now,whether they are 100% proof or not 🤔 , someone out there is bound to come forward with other info.!! But then again that is the whole point and what this Forum is about. DISCUSSION

Basically we need a good title and take it from there. Open to suggestions !!! ( I am at work again tomorrow but will get stuck  in on Saturday)

It is a pity there is no DM/PM option on this Forum.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
25/06/2020 9:21 pm  

@lexi Yes it is. But maybe we just start and see what happens. Maybe one thread will lead to another. Maybe we get stuck after five chairs. Let's see.

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
27/06/2020 10:20 am  

@herringbone. Just to let you know, I finally started that thread you suggested!!!

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
01/11/2020 6:03 pm  

Update. @leif-ericson kindly sent me some catalogues.

So, to put the record straight,I am editing the info on one of the chairs above ,image  6, which I incorrectly identified as Model 58 due to a blurry catalogue photo. It is in fact Model 48 . Image below from Anton Dam catalogue 1962

Apologies.

1604250235-E-Kirkegaard-model-48-Anton-Dam-1962.jpg

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
13/11/2020 4:31 pm  

@lexi Saw this pair listed locally yesterday and went straight to the "Curved Back Rests" thread to quickly confirm ID.   They need some repairs and new upholstery but the price was right.   Thanks again.       

1605281509-Dux1.jpg

Herringbone and lexi liked
ReplyQuote
dustdevil
(@dustdevil)
Eminent Member
02/12/2021 9:25 pm  

This is from a 1966 Dux catalog. It doesn't list a designer for the chairs made by Hong for some reason. No description available.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register