Cart

Gannsfjord Rosewood...

Gannsfjord Rosewood table  

RSS

frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
30/04/2020 11:58 pm  

I'm looking to buy this Gannsfjord Møbelfabrikk table designed by HE Tangvald Hansen - very coincidentally Mats Linder just posted about this table in a new post on Norwegian tables last month, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to identify it. 

http://www.matslinder.no/2020/03/17/13-utvalgte-norske-bord/

My question is concerning the finish/rosewood. I've done very little with rosewood but know that it the color is affected by UV exposure. Do the three darker squares in the middle look like they have been covered and therefore darkened? Or is this part of the grain. If not part of the grain, is this something that can be remedied?

Thanks! Any input is appreciated. Hope everyone is safe.

1588283926-95372852_831759900667658_3599428038544064512_n.jpg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2020 3:16 am  

Table? All I can see is three neat stacks of art, design and gardening magazines.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2020 3:24 am  

The spots were covered by something therefore they stayed dark. Sunlight especially without glass blocking the UV will make it all uniformly light, eventually. 

ReplyQuote
frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
01/05/2020 5:52 pm  

If I wanted to attempt a refinish or just a refreshing in an attempt to get some of the overall darkness back and even things out would stripping it and oiling with 0000 steel wool do anything? Would it make it go very dark as I know sanding would?

Generally, is lightened rosewood desirable or seen as a defect? I understand it's a natural process, but again I'm a rosewood rookie.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
02/05/2020 12:22 am  

It's not a defect, it's damage. You could try sanding a spot on the solid edge banding to see how deep the UV bleaching goes, but it would be risky to sand the veneer too aggressively. I'd probably give it a light sanding, oil it, and live with the lesson learned. And get some nice-looking art books...

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
25/05/2020 10:53 pm  

As someone who purchases too much rosewood stuff, I can say neither freshly sanded rosewood nor hugely sun bleached rosewood is desirable. The perfect level of rosewood UV damage would be enough to change the rosewood to a reddy mid tone, that clearly contrasts the figuring and communicates some age. But well before it's turned yellow, or has had an opportunity to be damaged from one direction of sunlight or has had an object obscure part of it from the light.

The good news is that refinishing will do a lot to mitigate the contrast. Also, I have read journal articles on bleaching of rosewood that say much like Leif has, that leaving rosewood in direct sunlight (no glass) does bleach wood fairly quickly.

ReplyQuote
frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
25/05/2020 11:48 pm  

@Kyle-Barrett as someone who purchases too much rosewood, do you have a refinishing schedule you'd be willing to share?

Thanks for all of the info.

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
26/05/2020 12:37 am  

I think nowadays I make a judgement generally based on the piece, and what the finish looks like. If the finish looks fairly thin my preference is to strip with wire wool/scouring pad and meths. I can't tell what the finish is like on this from this picture.

I would probably just advise hand sanding carefully and stop as soon as the sanding dust turns from white to sand coloured (or on the non bleached parts, pink/red). 

If you'd like to try leaving it in the sun, it'd be more effective I suspect if you do it without a finish, so now is your opportunity to test it. The article I mentioned was this one:

"Chemical bleaching of wood: an investigation into the bleaching of mahogany, walnut, rosewood, padauk, and purpleheart" by Louise Herstedt & Marie Herstedt

And the pertinent excerpt for me was:

"The sun light exposure experiment was carried out behind a window facing south until a change in Blue Wool Scale  number 3 was noticed (the duration was 32 days in April - May in Stockholm, Sweden). This corresponds to approximately 3600 lux hours of exposure. Exposure to average indirect indoor lighting (120 to 180 lux) for 12 hours a day equals from 503 to 790 lux hours each year [6]. This corresponds to an estimated 4,5 to 6,8 years indirect indoor lighting exposure before the same change in colour as in this experiment would be noticed. "

So 32 days direct sunlight behind glass is equivalent to 4.5 - 6.8 years indoor exposure. I've yet to try this, and the UK isn't known to be able to provide 32 consecutive days of sunlight... Ever.

I am not sure it's Brazilian rosewood beyond the veneer so I'd advise against stripper, multiple strippers react with Indian rosewood, and it's common to mix Indian rosewood for solid construction with Brazilian rosewood veneer. When it reacts, it just goes dark purple and stains itself and surrounding wood.

Then for finish, it's really your choice. I like a very thin layer of shellac personally on rosewood for reasons I won't go into. But any Danish oil will do in reality.

ReplyQuote
shinhinichan
(@shinhinichan)
26/05/2020 6:53 am  

The table is quite simple, but the wood grain is special

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register