Design Addict

Cart

Early Production Ha...

Early Production Hans Wegner Cow Horn Chair?  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
KennethSteven
(@kennethsteven)
18/04/2020 2:23 pm  
Posted by: davidhunternyc

Hello,

I have been researching Hans Wegner's Cow Horn Chair designed in 1952. Would someone please tell me the history of these chairs and what woods were offered? Caned seat or padded seat? Which is preferred? Most importantly, what are the traits of an early model chair from 1952 that make it more desirable than chairs made later? Just as the coveted 1st generation Eames Lounge Chair has a swivel ottoman I'm wondering what differing characteristics this chair had throughout its production. 

Thank you,

David

1584673397-cowhorn-chair-hans-wegner.jpg

Nice David ...

but I am thinking about this why are interesting to search 1952 chair's properties?

what's the logic, reason, David??

ok Dude  am trying to get more knowledge about this topic and share all stuff with you soon 

thanks 

ok 

ReplyQuote
KennethSteven
(@kennethsteven)
18/04/2020 2:24 pm  
Posted by: davidhunternyc

Hello,

I have been researching Hans Wegner's Cow Horn Chair designed in 1952. Would someone please tell me the history of these chairs and what woods were offered? Caned seat or padded seat? Which is preferred? Most importantly, what are the traits of an early model chair from 1952 that make it more desirable than chairs made later? Just as the coveted 1st generation Eames Lounge Chair has a swivel ottoman I'm wondering what differing characteristics this chair had throughout its production. 

Thank you,

David

1584673397-cowhorn-chair-hans-wegner.jpg

Nice David ...

but I am thinking about this why are interesting to search 1952 chair's properties?

what's the logic, reason, David??

ok Dude  am trying to get more knowledge about this topic and share all stuff with you soon 

thanks 

ok 

ReplyQuote
(@davidhunternyc)
Eminent Member
18/04/2020 3:03 pm  

KennethSteven "Why are interesting to search 1952 chair's properties?"

Because Wegner cow horn chairs are, inarguably, one of the great chair designs ever made and I want to learn everything I can about them. Because, as I've learned here, that each chair was made by the cabinet maker Johannes Hansen, I keep thinking that there could be markings or something else that differentiated early chairs from later ones. Whether it be a mark, something small, or something large, it's about human history. For instance, as I've said before, I find it fascinating how early Eames shell chairs or lounge chairs and ottomans are different from later models. Sure, Eames furniture was mass produced but this was the modern era. Wegner chairs are a different animal but equally if not more fascinating. 

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
18/04/2020 4:45 pm  

Two things, David:

1. It's arguable on a number of levels.

2. Kenneth is a troll bot.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
19/04/2020 3:30 pm  

One thing to know is that Johannes Hansen did not personally make the cowhorn chair. I would not even wager that the first prototype was made by him personally.  It was made by his journeymen and apprentice employees. Any indication about age would be indirect and accidental, which is not to say it will never be possible to know, but that it will be a lot of work. 

ReplyQuote
(@davidhunternyc)
Eminent Member
12/03/2021 7:42 am  

I'm circling back to this topic and read this thread with renewed interest. I still haven't found any definitive answers to my initial questions because there probably isn't any. Early Johannes Hansen chairs are best and Carl Hansen chairs are second best. Perhaps new PP Mobler chairs are the least valuable though they too cost a fortune new. I'm fine with this guidance. I am split on teak vs. oak though. I like dark wood so fumed oak or teak would be my choice. I also still have not found a perfect Cow Horn chair for myself. As we all know, they cost an arm and leg... so I've been trying to grow extras.  

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
13/03/2021 12:53 pm  

@davidhunternyc - If we are still talking about the cow horn chair, you should leave Carl Hansen out, firstly because Carl Hansen never had anything to do with the cow horn chair and secondly because Carl Hansen produced - just like Fritz Hansen for instance - on an industrial scale with large machinery. Which means you can't compare JH with CH. Carl Hansen wouldn't have been able to make a chair like the cow horn, because the cow horn was designed for a cabinetmaker's workshop. Just look at the backrest. To achieve a shape and a grain structure like that, you first have to glue together two pieces of wood along with the inlays and then carve the backrest out of the wood, which at that time was done solely by hand. The backrest of the Wishbone char in contrast is just a bent rod of wood. With the right machinery it only takes a few seconds to do that. Therefore Wegner's designs for Carl Hansen are much simpler, they were produced in much higher numbers and are much cheaper.

If your only goal is to own a perfectly looking cow horn chair, you can buy a new one from PP, which because of their use of CNC technology is excatly like Wegner wanted it to be. If you are looking for a collector's item, you will prefer the JH version. But that is not because of higher quality but only because of its history, its patina and because it was shaped by the hands of extremely well trained and long dead Danish cabinetmakers.

And if you want the cheapest solution, that would be to find a PP production at an auction. You'd probably only have to pay maybe two thirds the price of a new one.  

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhunternyc)
Eminent Member
13/03/2021 9:46 pm  

Again, thank you for the clarification. I've made up my mind long ago that I would get an original JH chair and not a PP Mobler chair. I've made too many mistakes in the past opting for "authorized" reissues of things rather than buying the genuine original. I won't make that mistake again hence why I don't have a cow horn chair in my possession. Oh well, it's a first world problem for sure. Thank you for you continued support and input.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register