desert island fur...

desert island furniture  

RSS

HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
26/12/2007 1:47 pm  

If you were to be stranded on a desert island and were allowed a chair, lamp and table what would you take?

kdc (USA)
(@kdc-usa)
Prominent Member
26/12/2007 8:47 pm  

survivalist instinct trumps aesthetics
even though this offer could be my big chance to get the long-coveted womb chair, a large tulip table of dining proportions and a poulsen lamp, i'm afraid my quest for beauty would take a back seat my instinct to keep breathing.
so then, without too much thought, i'd likely settle for an industrial-strength inflatable chair [think inflatable-playground-toy big], a complete, global tide table on a waterproof palmtop solar-powered computer, and a desk-mounted magnifying glass lamp with a removable lens for starting fires, doing woodburning projects in my spare time on weekends and for holding in front of my palmtop computer so i can see what the heck is displayed in four-point type on its micro screen.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
26/12/2007 9:14 pm  

"Tide table". . . I love it !
Signal lamp ?
Lifeguard chair (for seeing the arriving rescue ship sooner) ?
Rattan and bamboo furniture, for "green and local" material usage ?
(I know -- this wasn't the idea of the thread. . .)

ReplyQuote
dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
26/12/2007 10:17 pm  

I like my two BLANK and...
I like my two BLANK and Wakefield (can't recall the first name right now) stepped end tables with the imitation rattan look. These are magnificiently made of materials vastly superior to rattan. They belong to a line created during WWII to substitute for rattan furniture which was temporarily hard to get, because I reckon the bamboo was in a location that required peace time shipping and safe sealanes to access. Anyway, it looks great. It will last forever. And if I were to have a house in Key West, or on any of the coastal islands in the Carolinas, I would have nothing but this stuff. Screw rattan. This is flat better and it signals a time when Americans had the resourcefulness to handle any emergency while retaining their ENTIRE bill of rights, and without operating mass torture camps.

ReplyQuote
kdc (USA)
(@kdc-usa)
Prominent Member
26/12/2007 11:14 pm  

_______ wakefield
"blank" = heywood
[as in tom and ray's npr car talk, their customer care representative, mr. heywood u. buzzoff.]
and at no extra charge i'll mention their russian chauffeur, pikopf andropov.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@sockmonkeygirlgmail-com)
Noble Member
26/12/2007 11:15 pm  

I only need two things...
I'm taking the minimalist approach. I'll be sitting pretty in my oversized inflatable chair similar to this one, but will glow in the dark. For my light I will be using this solar powered lamp, I'm sure I can cook on it too...the top is removable and would easily work as a table. I may need a ladder..hmmm

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
26/12/2007 11:21 pm  

you pracical americans, jeez 🙂
I'd want something pretty to look at.
How about if your house was burning down and you could only save 3 bits of furniture, what'd they be?

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
26/12/2007 11:23 pm  

Is that a solar concentrator?
Is that a solar concentrator?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@sockmonkeygirlgmail-com)
Noble Member
26/12/2007 11:45 pm  

Awww. Now that is a tough one...
Awww. Now that is a tough one...lets see I'm bring the Womb Chair in rich saddle brown leather. As for lighting, hmmmm. I'm going for a basic ceiling globe light...which I will need a solar generator.
I'm bringing my Eames surfboard table. Classic pieces that will work with my environment...I will be staying under a bare tree to hang my globe light, chair underneath, rug made out of moss inspired by the rye rugs. I'm sure I can find a few accent pieces out there...

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2007 5:04 am  

I would not need....
a particular chair. Just a cushion on the computertower would be fine. As for the lamp, well a good flat screen gives enough light...especially on a desert island where you go to bed early. As far as the table is concerned,I will put my morning coffee and the drinks later in the day on a surface "created" by turning around the keyboard on my knees. I can do without a lot of furniture but not without DA....

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2007 5:24 am  

Thats almost rousseau-ish, in a strange kind of way.
I would have to take my Tessa t4 chair, a planet studio lamp (tolomeo pre-cursor) and any old side table will do, as long as it has a stack of Kingsley Amis, Gore Vidal, John Updike, Frank Herbert and John Le Carre novels on it.

ReplyQuote
dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2007 8:16 am  

If we're getting semi serious...
...and I really had to LIVE there for along time, then it would have to be my McRoskey Airflex bed. I do two things on it that are indispensible and one of them is something I could do on an uninhabited desert island, while the other I could do if it were inhabited. 🙂

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2007 8:34 am  

you can do that standing up...
you can do that standing up 🙂
Okay if you had to take furniture AND a person (a fantasy for us single folk) who would that be?

ReplyQuote
HP
 HP
(@hp)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2007 8:42 am  

I would take soemone large...
I would take soemone large but infirm, for when I'm hungry.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register