Cart

A couple of Stelton...

A couple of Stelton questions  

RSS

fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
18/05/2012 2:53 pm  

1. Some of Arne Jacobsen's Cylinda pieces have been modified since they were first introduced. My old condiment set, for example, has different-sized pepper and salt shakers while more recent versions of the set have equal-sized shakers, and my old serving tray has a smaller diameter than current-production trays.
Does anyone happen to know (or know where to find) the history of these products in enough detail to tell me when they were changed? Stelton USA is only an online store, so they weren't any help, and Stelton Denmark hasn't yet responded to my email. I'm hoping to find the answer without having to deal with the language and timezone issues of a telephone call to Copenhagen.
2. What are these Stelton "parking discs" for? Online stores and the Stelton website describe the construction and operation of the discs in great detail while maddeningly saying nothing at all about the purpose.
I can see that they mount to the inside of your car's windshield and can be adjusted to display a time of day... But why? Do Danish meter maids rely on the honor system to determine when a car's been parked for too long?

HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
18/05/2012 4:25 pm  

A friends father was in Copenhagen years ago and said that the 'social contract' there was strong so perhaps there is a good honour system, getting glares on public transport for not validating your ticket...that sort of thing.
The disc might just indicate the time that you parked there or plan to return, Spanky will know I'm sure, it would be handy for front doors too I suppose, it would let burglars know how much time they've got to get in and out anyway 🙂

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
18/05/2012 4:51 pm  

Ha! I didn't know
until I googled it just now. Heath, you are right. It's an honor system, except I guess it doesn't rely all that much on honor unless you go back and change the time on the disc, or something. The Wiki entry says that there is an illegal motorized version, which of course would be very dishonorable.
The Stelton ones are really nice, especially compared to the ones shown on the Wiki page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_parking

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2012 12:40 am  

Thanks, Spanky.
Around here, parking-enforcement officers mark the tires of parked cars with colored chalk; if the chalked car is still parked when they come back after an hour, they cite it. That practice seems easier for everyone involved, and more reliable. I wonder why it didn't take hold in Europe.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2012 2:13 am  

You know...
...I've been thinking about those things all day and now i vaguely remember that we had one on our car window. I remember our friend Janne explaining that we should have one, but we didn't go into Copenhagen much so we didn't need it very often. It was one of those little bits of information that were piled on us in a heap when we first got there---lotta stuff to deal with.
Ours was a cheap (but nice) one. Not a Stelton.

ReplyQuote
actionandaction...
(@actionandaction-2)
Trusted Member
19/05/2012 3:17 am  

Parking Discs
We do have them in Germany. Well, actually, not anymore that much since in most citys you have to pay and need a ticket that you display under your front window and that has the expiration time on it.
But when i was a kid there were a lot of areas where you were allowed to park for free only for a certain amount of time. And the disc showed the moment when you parked your car. I don't see great possibilities of cheating, unless you wanna return to your car every two hours to adjust the disc. Which would have been dangerous, because there werde parking maids that checked from time to time. and they knew the chalk / tire trick as well.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
27/05/2012 7:02 am  

My first question got sorta lost behind those parking discs
so here's a week-later bump just in case someone has the answer but didn't see the question:
Some of Arne Jacobsen's Cylinda pieces have been modified since they were first introduced. My old condiment set, for example, has different-sized pepper and salt shakers while more recent versions of the set have equal-sized shakers, and my old serving tray has a smaller diameter than current-production trays.
Does anyone happen to know (or know where to find) the history of these products in enough detail to tell me when they were changed? Stelton USA is only an online store, so they weren't any help, and Stelton Denmark hasn't yet responded to my email. I'm hoping to find the answer without having to deal with the language and timezone issues of a telephone call to Copenhagen.
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2012 1:20 am  

Dear fastfwd...
You are right, there are two different sets of salt and peppar shakers, but I am very doubtful that there is anyone left at Stelton that could answer your questions. I have quite a number of catalogues from Stelton and there "sales bible" but non of the catalogues is dated, so it is difficult to reconstruct the past assortments. I am sure that the different sizes were designed by Arne Jacobsen because they have been in the assortment for a long long time and Peter Holmblad did consult his "father" on these things. The most likely date is that it was designed at the same time as the multi-set addition. If you give me some time I might be able to find out!

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2012 8:17 am  

Thank you, Koen.
Any information you can provide -- especially regarding the serving tray's change from 29cm to 33.5cm diameter -- will be gratefully received.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register