Tktoo, is it a dentist appointment?

ReplyQuote
tick
 tick
(@tick)
Noble Member
05/10/2013 6:24 am  

The Gherkin by Sir Norman Fos...
The Gherkin by Sir Norman Foster is a design classic. No novelty here, the building is a product of a rigorous design process that fuses new technology with eco friendly elements such as natural ventilation.
Judging something by appearance seems a very flawed way to approach a design. Infact, much of the modernist homes and furniture that have become staples of the mid-century modern fad were once scoffed at because they didn't fit within the parameters of popular taste.
The only real test is to live in a building or sit in a chair. I believe that good design is the marriage of form and function. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is often overrated.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
06/10/2013 8:27 pm  

I believe
Its primary purpose is to invent new sexual positions. Form follows function.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
06/10/2013 10:44 pm  

beauty should happen last
So if someone can figure out what the hell it is for-- it will BECOME more beautiful, right before our very eyes.
So Woody, where would.... aw forget it.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
06/10/2013 11:43 pm  

If I may quote the infamous LRF, circa 2011...
"It looks like an old padded board put together by a horny old man in his garage".
Cheerio,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
07/10/2013 1:52 am  

Like the mid-century buildings tick refers to...
Impressionist painting was also thought of as both regressive and degenerate in its own time. Few in the art community could see any good in it then.
Now impressionism is on everybody's wall calendars and is accepted by the masses as "pretty". Even casual participants just love it.
As eras change, the hardest thing to re-create is the context, and the sense of EDGE and innovation that many great art and design inventions embodied. And what they had to deal with because of an un-accepting public.
Public sculpture is another example. At first, everybody hates just about anything that is proposed. Then a few years later, the same people will protest if you dare to suggest it was a mistake in the first place.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
07/10/2013 2:14 am  

so what is ugly now?
We are at a funny place right now, because even with all of the post-modern consciousness, and even if mid century modern and clean-lined minimalist spaces have run their course with the in crowd, there is still a MUCH LARGER segment of the population that STILL thinks a generic suburban house (built from a book design picked by a contractor) is more attractive. Generic and quaint wins, because it is "safe" and conforming.
Shingles and shutters (or "stucco") still seem to be a REQUIREMENT for 95% of the population.
So what is ugly enough to stir the stew now? And for whom is it being stirred?
The sliver of the population that is actually informed about design may be OVER mid century inspired stuff, but most of the world is still layering on the bric-a-brac, and never got mid century in the first place.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@tony_flamengogmx-ch)
Noble Member
07/10/2013 11:56 am  

aunt mark
...take the biscuit.
thanks mark for that perfect circumscription.

ReplyQuote
Starline
(@starline)
Prominent Member
07/10/2013 5:02 pm  

I guess if you lived in a...
I guess if you lived in a hut in old times and walked out to find a simple wooden box you would be the envy of the village.So classy sitting on a box when all the other commoners are sitting on the floor.When you turn the box the crowd goes oooowww because they noticed you put belongings in it and are sitting with the box on it's side.
One would marvel at the quality of a finely crafted butt joint and think it was designed by a master race never before seen by man.
The modern version is not much different though they now call it a project home rather than a hut.They go to the chain store and are allured by the odd purple thing amongst the puffy sofas because the label says it's modern designer.
SOLD!

ReplyQuote
Starline
(@starline)
Prominent Member
08/10/2013 5:01 am  

I wonder if it were based on...
I wonder if it were based on the Fjord chair by Patricia Urquiola for Moroso.
It was designed in 2002 so you never know as there is a resemblance for sure.Often chain stores that don't directly copy do their own take on the latest trends so it flows down.
Ikea are a good example but most do it.

ReplyQuote
Alex Julia
(@alexjulia)
05/07/2021 7:33 am  
Posted by: kin1117

Tktoo, is it a dentist...
Tktoo, is it a dentist appointment?

I am unable to understand that why are you saying "it is a dentist" etc. Please elaborate.

ReplyQuote
Feleminc
(@feleminc)
08/07/2021 9:43 am  

Is it some kind of auction going on here?

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
08/07/2021 3:06 pm  

Somehow I'm finding this thread as entertaining as I did back when. The lack of accompanying photos might even make it better!

This forum really was so much fun, eh?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register