Design Addict

Cart

Who was David Dougl...

Who was David Douglas and What Was Accalac?  

RSS

dcwilson
(@dcwilson)
Illustrious Member
08/10/2008 4:14 am  

So I'm standing in this thrift store near the end of the earth and I find these four plastic goblets with a one inch smooth ribbon around the top, a textured surface for gripping, and one of those unmistakable, two-color asterisk-like patterns on the side and I say to myself, "Self, this is just about more late 60s early 70s than just about anything I've ever seen and not necessarily in a good way, but still in a way that I cannot resist picking up and handling."

So I pick this goblet up, it being one of four forlorn bits of modernity on the shelf full of mugs from China, and lo and behold, when I turn it over, it reads: designed by David Douglas and claims it is made of something called Accalac.

So I go home and check EBay for David Douglas and I find tons of his stuff listed on EBay with no one buying a single piece of it.

So I search DA and his name comes up, like, no where.

So I say maybe if I post the following question on DA maybe someone will have heard of this person and tell me why he was privileged to design so much stuff and to have his name on put on it and, well: who was David Douglas and What Was Accalac?

bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
08/10/2008 1:44 pm  

weird bottle, body has the...
weird bottle, body has the strangest texture...
i myself don't know the designer, or even the material...

ReplyQuote
Nancy N
(@nancy-n)
29/12/2016 9:14 pm  

David Douglas was my grandfather. Accalac was a new product he invented in the mid 50's. It was electric welding which was also new. His base company was out of Manitowoc WI... a small town near Green Bay. The "Geni" bottle in the upper picture is in a modern art museum. He also created many other products. If you would like more information on him I would be happy to answer them for you. He was a great entrepreneur and a wonderful man. I am so happy people still like his work and it is being used today.

ReplyQuote
PhippsSmith
(@phippssmith)
22/05/2023 8:07 pm  

Late to this conversation,  we are also design addicts,  and started to find his pieces in our travels.  We searched and searched and found nothing until this thread popped up.  We have about 40 pieces in our collection. Any more information would be appreciated.  

ReplyQuote
PhippsSmith
(@phippssmith)
28/05/2023 9:21 pm  

(@nancy-n)

We picked up a few more pieces this past few days, very interested in knowing more. And would even offer to help create a wiki page forDavid Douglas [ only with family permission]

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register