What's the best early 70s design?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@samfergi-com)
Reputable Member
30/05/2014 4:20 am  

Hey there forum:

I've been asked to help furnish a set for a pilot TV show that will be based in the late 1960s, early 1970s, and I'm looking for ideas. What do you think is the best early 1970s design, both for home and office?

Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
30/05/2014 4:45 am  

and
where in the world is it set?
It matters.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@samfergi-com)
Reputable Member
30/05/2014 5:00 am  

USA
Probably in NYC, Los Angeles, and Connecticut.
From what I understand, the protagonists are quite hip.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@samfergi-com)
Reputable Member
30/05/2014 5:00 am  

USA
Probably in NYC, Los Angeles, and Connecticut.
From what I understand, the protagonists are quite hip.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
30/05/2014 7:32 am  

I hate to say it
but you might check out the "Madmen" series, as the show has evolved through that very same time frame.
The late sixties still had some nice biomorphic chairs (Morgue?) Nelson Meridian ceramic clocks, and good graphic op art and some psychedelic imagery.
But the seventies quickly descended into beaded doorways, macrame plant holders, and pieces that shared photographed wood with real wood. It was not a pretty sight. Hippy real estate agents with plaid pants and white shoes, and hair.
Hippy meets cheap crap.
There must be some good hippy furniture. Espenet was one good hippy furniture designer who lived on the coast in Marin County, just north of San Francisco, and made one of a kind beautiful wood pieces. He was more a sculptor posing as a furniture maker. Beautiful work. Dark wood. There were some cool little Hobbit houses designed in the 70s out near the coast at that time too.
Generalizations all. A bit buzzed.

ReplyQuote
glassartist
(@glassartist)
Illustrious Member
30/05/2014 8:42 am  

I imagine
the hippest in the early 70's would have been all about Italian design. The italians were setting the pace at that time.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
30/05/2014 9:18 am  

glassartist,
Good to know that beautiful reductive design was still alive and well in the 70's.
It seemed that America had precious little going on then.
It's funny, but clean-lined reductive design and the Summer of Love just don't seem to go together. I think of musty crusty Victorian houses in San Francisco, with bowls of schrooms on the coffee table. Lots of hanging fabric from the ceilings. And beads.
(I do still have my sony "Dream Machine" clock radio cube from 1971 though)

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
30/05/2014 11:49 am  

Do you mean best (some very good German work) or most exemplary? Are these middle class hip types? What is the exact year? You might find some little object that is indicative, like an old NYT with something about Watergate or Vietnam on the front would work as long as its not gratuitous, something more subtle? Macrame bikinis and Pappasan chairs.
I'm buzzed too

ReplyQuote
Starline
(@starline)
Prominent Member
30/05/2014 2:38 pm  

Everyone seems to remember...
Everyone seems to remember the tacky junk but what were the movers and shakers doing.
Well a 30 piece De Sede DS600 sofa for starters from 1970.
That will need a round swivelling coffee table with illuminated bar by Willy Rizzo.1967-1970
Maybe a pair of Douglas Chairs by Jacques Charpentier.1967-1970
How about a Pierre Cardin sideboard or lamp although I personally prefer the big guns with a Paul Evans Wave front cabinet or credenza.
A bit of fibreglass will be needed with a Molar chair by Wendell Castle from 1969.
Or for polyurethane a giant Pratone meadow by Gufram 1971.You sit or kinda fall in it but it's very cool.
Maybe a 70s Raak D-2080 Zodiac floor lamp in the corner and definitely some big plants somewhere.
A Paco Rabanne Space Curtain from 70s?
Most important of all though is a big fat chequebook.hehe

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@samfergi-com)
Reputable Member
30/05/2014 5:10 pm  

Iconic
I guess I should specify iconic, not necessarily the best. But the protagonists have money, so mostly higher end items.

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
30/05/2014 5:54 pm  

Iconic or more to point profitable...
Quit wasting your time on this guy.
He's nothing more than opportunist.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@samfergi-com)
Reputable Member
30/05/2014 11:27 pm  

Thanks!
Starline, you are the best! Those are all phenomenal suggestions.
Lunchbox: again, I'm sorry if you think what I am posting on the forum is inappropriate. I don't think I am disobeying the forum rules, or the spirit of the forum. I invite the editors to remove this post, and all my posts, if I am breaking the rules. I think an open-ended question like the one I've asked is helpful to many users of this forum. You are obviously welcome not to answer if you think I am sleazy or doing something "opportunistic." Whatever your opinion of me, I'd appreciate if you held back on the personal attacks.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
31/05/2014 12:05 am  

Iconic designs vs. best designs
THAT is the question. Two entirely different things.
If you want authenticity, then I would go with the crap interiors. (At least if the show is set in America)
Even the rich Hippys were rejecting their parents wealth. Or at least pretending to. That was the whole point.
They wouldn't have been caught dead sitting around in high end environments, unless the setting was a rich parent's house. More likely a commune in a muddy barn.
But I could see throwing in one funky molar chair amongst the crap, just for the vibe.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
31/05/2014 12:44 am  

BEAN BAG.
Duh!

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote