Using Eames shell c...

Using Eames shell chairs outdoors?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Grendel_The_Cat
(@grendel_the_cat)
Noble Member
10/04/2014 10:36 pm  

I have some slightly ratty orange shell chairs I'm thinking of using outdoors. In the Pacific NW, this amounts to them being outside for maybe three months and a high chance of them getting rained on several times and getting nosed by raccoons.

I know fancy people use them outside in nicer climates, but as a non fancy person who would like them to still last and look good for years am I nuts? Do they fade or have any crazy ill effects when used outdoors?

NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
10/04/2014 10:43 pm  

Hi
Standing water and prolonged exposure to sun and the elements will ruin the finish. If you keep them covered, they should last for a while.
(I presume you're referring to the fiberglass version)

ReplyQuote
(@muehlebach)
Famed Member
10/04/2014 11:11 pm  

Hello.
If you don't care about ever reselling them, you could drill a few holes in the seat and coat them with Penetrol. That will prevent the rain or snow from puddling on them. I'd only think you could get maybe 5 or so years out of them before they start looking not so good.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
10/04/2014 11:18 pm  

UV might not be a...
UV might not be a particularly big concern for you give the location, but it will definitely eat resin and fiberglass. And fade the color. Southwest desert sunlight is brutal.

ReplyQuote
Grendel_The_Cat
(@grendel_the_cat)
Noble Member
10/04/2014 11:28 pm  

thanks all!
Yes, it would be the fiberglass ones.
I do plan on keeping them in the garage most of the year, possibly even just taking them out when I actually eat at the table.
And I don't think I could ever drill holes in them (shudder!)

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
10/04/2014 11:32 pm  

"Slightly ratty" is still good enough for indoor use as far as I am concerned.
Why destroy them if they are not already destroyed?
"Completely fucked" is what they will be when used outdoors.
Just sayin'.

ReplyQuote
(@muehlebach)
Famed Member
11/04/2014 12:07 am  

Make it rain up in here!
Buy some with crappy upholstery. They usually sell for less anyway. Strip that off and you'll probably find holes in them already.

ReplyQuote
peteremsley-93
(@pemsleyq-com)
Reputable Member
11/04/2014 4:35 am  

I have 6 around a table on...
I have 6 around a table on my covered patio in Colorado. They have seen some blowing and sitting snow and a lot of morning/late afternoon sun in the year they have been out there. They seem to be holding up ok. I was expecting to see some rust on the old h-bases after the winter at least. They certainly don't hide any dirt or dust, and always need a bit of a clean before use.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@nicholasoneillbarbergmail-com)
Trusted Member
16/04/2014 8:03 am  

Buy some s#¡++¡?r ones
Buy some old ones with ripped or damaged upholstery (meaning they already have holes in the bottom to let air through) then remove the upholstery and if they are a lighter color then you won't notice the fading. Using orange chairs outside is just gonna make them fade from the sun and standing water in the seat bucket.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
16/04/2014 8:25 am  

0r...
you could make some lowball offers on ebay, on standard (no fabric) shells that have already been drilled by former owners.
OR maybe buy a couple of shells with cracks at the corner of the seat, then you wouldn't be worrying about them because you got them cheap.
I have had two arm shells outside on a covered deck for a very long time, and all they need is an occasional wiping down. In summer, they get a bit of direct morning sun, but no fading has occurred. The low x bases were rusty to begin with, and I like the look anyway, so no big deal.

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
18/04/2014 8:16 am  

No
I don't even leave my Schultz 1966/Leasure chairs out unless I'm having an event on the deck. The only chairs that are really safe outdoors is the Richard Schultz Topiary chairs and benches.

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
10/07/2014 2:33 am  

No
I don't even leave my Schultz 1966/Leasure chairs out unless I'm having an event on the deck. The only chairs that are really safe outdoors is the Richard Schultz Topiary chairs and benches.

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
10/07/2014 3:15 am  

Could you get them gel coated in a UV resistant clear? There is this product which sounds ideal, but I don't know much about fibreglass and resins, a lot of products on the market though.
http://www.bottompaintstore.com/gelcoat-clear-hiuv-p-10333.html

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2014 10:16 pm  

No

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2014 1:26 am  

yes

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register