Cart

Shield Chair co of ...

Shield Chair co of California  

RSS

JohnQ
(@johnq)
Trusted Member
11/02/2015 8:30 am  

I'm curious if anyone has any information about shields chair co of california? Im in the midst of fixing up this chair and would love it if anyone knew any details about the company. It has a sticker that says "another fine product of shields chair co of California" but don't really see much information about the company. thanks!

cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
11/02/2015 5:04 pm  

I've come across these chairs and am interested as well. Both the low and high back versions are almost identical images of the Kofod-Larsen design, made in Denmark, and imported by Selig.
Based on the above, and that I cannot find anysupporting literature that Kofod Larsen licensed designs in the US, my guess has always been that Shield's imported the design from Denmark after the Selig licensing agreement expired. Note that the Shield's tag doesn't say "made in" or "made by". This is just a guess on my part, but I have a hard time believing that those wood frame members were fabricated in the US during that timeframe.

ReplyQuote
JohnQ
(@johnq)
Trusted Member
12/02/2015 8:10 am  

Thanks cdsilva; you and I are on the same page; the lack of information online is curious. I hope someone might be able to shed some light. Surely someone that's been around for a while knows the deal with these? Pretty please 😉

ReplyQuote
pswells3
(@pswells3)
30/01/2016 9:39 am  

My Grandfather was the owner of Sheild Chair in the 60's. His parents migrated from Norway and developed the company,designing and copyrighting many pieces of danish modern furniture. His company was based in Southern California.My grandfather, John Fossum had his life cut short at the young age of 47 and the company was sold.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
31/01/2016 4:37 am  

So we're the designs developed in house, perhaps by your grandfather? Or were outside designers/architects contracted for the designs?

ReplyQuote
pswells3
(@pswells3)
31/01/2016 5:11 am  

My grandfather and other family members did all the designs in house. My grandfather held patents for several of the pieces.

ReplyQuote
JohnQ
(@johnq)
Trusted Member
31/03/2016 9:46 pm  

@pswells3 thanks for the info; this particular design looks a lot like a Kofod Larsen design. Any idea what the relationship may be?

ReplyQuote
Dropkickd_rock
(@dropkickd_rock)
Trusted Member
01/04/2016 10:33 am  

I do not have anything to add about the company other than its products were all pretty well made. I recently obtained this pull out sofa in solid wood by Shield.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
01/04/2016 5:20 pm  

The patent for that daybed is interesting:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2937384A/en

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register