Cart

Scandinavian trans...

Scandinavian translation help  

RSS

Sound & Design
(@fdaboyaol-com)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2009 4:11 am  

While I think I know what it says...not absolutely. It's on a tapestry we have found tucked way in the back of a drawer.

Norwegian?

Di TTE ER Di FEM ViiSE OG Di FEM DAARLiGE JOMERVGER

koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2009 5:44 am  

I suspest there is something wrong with
the transcription.
I suspect that Di TTE is one word: Dette
So, the start would be: These are the five wise people and the five poor...the last word escapes me,...than again, I speak neither Danish nor Norwegean

ReplyQuote
Sound & Design
(@fdaboyaol-com)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2009 6:23 am  

Thank you Koen.
Your...
Thank you Koen.
Your translation is similar to those that I've found, with slight variations. What I presented is exact as that on our tapestry. The others translations are below, X replaces the unknown word association.
These are the five wise and five foolish XXXX
XXXX the five wise and five bad XXXX
The last word I'm assuming is virgin. This would make it a biblical quote. Perhaps not being able to associate certain words reflects localized dialect? I'll post a photo tomorrow. Thanks again Koen.

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2009 6:42 am  

The last word might be...
jomfruen...litteraly young women, but also maiden, even virgins I think.

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
27/12/2009 1:07 pm  

I believe koen is right...
I believe koen is right and that it should say JOMFRUGER. I also think the language is Norwegian.
Jomfruger looks to be an older spelling of jomfruer, the plural of jomfru, which means virgin.
But I don't speak Norwegian or Danish either, so I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
27/12/2009 10:05 pm  

Hej Gustaf!
Det var rätt sao roligt att läsa dessa uprepade försök som slutar med anmärkningen att vi varken kann Danska eller Norska...Till slut blev jag rättt sao nyficken pao vad som är avbildad under en titel som tydligen är svaor att översätta!
God Jul!
Koen

ReplyQuote
Sound & Design
(@fdaboyaol-com)
Illustrious Member
28/12/2009 12:54 am  

It is funny...but the Scandin...
It is funny...but the Scandinavian languages do share similarities. You'll see the full text in the photo below. I do think we resolved the translation, but perhaps a slight variation in wording might produce a entirely new translation.

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
28/12/2009 1:10 am  

God fortsättning Koen!
Jag blir alltid lika överraskad av att se ett inlägg på svenska här på DA, men det brukar ju vara du som ligger bakom 🙂
Ja, jag blev också nyfiken på hur bilden ser ut. Nu får vi se den!

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
28/12/2009 1:15 am  

At last we get to see the virgins!
The only difference between them seems to be that those in the top row look happy while those in the bottom row don't. It doesn't seem to say which are good and which are bad...

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
28/12/2009 1:19 am  

My best try:
These are the five smart and the five dumb young ladies..
but I am sure there are DA-ers that are better in the scandinavian languages.

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
28/12/2009 1:27 am  

Oh, you're right koen
The literal translation is of course not "good and bad", but "wise and bad". A seemingly false dichotomy, but I guess it's intentional.

ReplyQuote
Sound & Design
(@fdaboyaol-com)
Illustrious Member
28/12/2009 11:14 pm  

Thank you gentleman. I...
Thank you gentleman. I think that wording "five wise and five bad" or "five good and five bad", implies malicious behavior. Using "five wise and five foolish" is more consistent with the parable it (possibly) titles and....consistent antonyms. Perhaps the tapestry reflects an old Scandinavian tale instead of something biblical? In the biblical tale, there is one bridegroom...on this tapestry there are two male figures or bridegrooms. Bit confusing...lots of symbols on the tapestry, perhaps something I should investigate. What makes it worse, we're clueless how or when this came into the family.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register