Design Addict

Cart

Sam Maloof...Swoon!

Sam Maloof...Swoon!  

RSS

RobinW
(@robinw)
19/11/2013 8:49 am  

I don't have any pics to share, nor am I bragging about finding one of his pieces on craigslist for 50 bucks. I'm just here to represent. I noticed a few posts around the time of his death, but not much before or since. If you are ever within 500 miles of his residence and studio in CA, you must take a tour. Every detail from door hinges to plant watering to singing brick floors, to the obvious...furniture will make a life changing impression. I had the unique pleasure of meeting him when I visited. He had to be 90 years old at the time and he was still smoking hot.

cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
13/01/2014 9:39 am  

I'm just returning home from...
I'm just returning home from a long weekend in LA, during which we went on a tour of the Maloof residence. It was indeed one of the most impressive house tours I have ever been on. The house layout itself was not so impressive, as it had been assembled room by room over a good chunk of his lifetime. However, the furniture, built-ins, and casework, were all stunning. Every room had multiple minor chairs/tables/etc., which would be the focal point of almost any other house on their own. And although there was only one chair that we were allowed to sit in, they encouraged us to touch almost all the pieces (due to natural human skin oil polishing). While I had been only generally aware of Maloof's work beforehand, I now consider myself a huge fan after seeing and touching all of his work firsthand. I strongly second the OP's recommendation for any mid-century or woodworking enthusiast to visit this place. It was by far the highlight of my trip.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register