Design Addict

Cart

Reupholstering a Wo...

Reupholstering a Womb chair-how much is reasonable?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Tulipman
(@tulipman)
Illustrious Member
21/01/2010 5:55 pm  

I was quoted $750-800. to reupholster the Womb chair,no ottoman.Then,I called another local upholsterer who quoted $450-500.The price was tempting,but I'm not so sure ha has that much experience with these.Anybody had this done?Just wondering what I should consider to be a fair price.I have the fabric.

Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
21/01/2010 10:46 pm  

If done correctly
expect to pay more. The guys I use know how to do the womb chair correctly. They even do them for Knoll. They do it the original way with the seam hand-stitched all the way around. A short cut is to use ply-grip and a welt cord. It's not nearly as nice. It's also important to have someone who can sculpt the foam correctly, make the cushions the right size, etc.
That said, 750-800 does seem a little steep without the ottoman. That is what I'd expect you to be quoted for both pieces.

ReplyQuote
Tulipman
(@tulipman)
Illustrious Member
22/01/2010 5:41 am  

Yep, I thought they were steep, too!
Thanks for your input.Well,after all,this is one of the most expensive cities to live in.I overpay for rent,so naturally,other things follow suit,I suppose.

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
Illustrious Member
22/01/2010 6:33 am  

Where are you?
NYC? If the shop is in Manhattan, then of course you have to adjust for the extra overhead. If it was cost effective I'd suggest that you send your chair here to Chicago to have it done but I'm afraid the shipping to and fro would eat up any savings.
Good luck. Regardless of the cost, I'm sure your total outlay will be less than a new chair and you'll end up with a better piece. Plus saving us all the environmental impact of having a new chair produced.

ReplyQuote
dunbarfan
(@russellrussellharper-net)
26/05/2010 9:34 pm  

womb chair reupholster chicago
recently, some of you mentioned a good upholsterer for
a womb chair in the Chicago area.....wondering if I could get the
name and address of the shop....
any help would be greatly appreciated.....
thanks

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
Illustrious Member
27/05/2010 8:16 am  

Sure
Look up "The Furniture Shop" at 4259 S. Western in Chicago. They do first rate work, and they also have a nice selection of fabrics on hand. Tell 'em Pegboard Modern sent you.

ReplyQuote
Lorie70
(@audrey-0607gmail-com)
09/04/2011 1:40 am  

regaridng womb chair price
I know the price of womb chair and ottoman is $899 on ma___ign.com, sounds like a fare price to me for the quality product you get:)
Edited by DA: No advertising in the forum please!

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
09/04/2011 2:13 am  

Lorie, dear
Please take the time to read our rules before you post, which you obviously have not.
I assure you, your links will be taken down promptly. And you have only ensured no business from this group. We get tired of people just stopping by to promote themselves. Take care.
http://www.designaddict.com/tips_forum.html

ReplyQuote
EamesJunkie
(@eamesjunkie)
Honorable Member
09/04/2011 6:10 am  

I had one done
in San Diego and it was right about 700 plus fabric (had my own so I saved money). These chairs take a lot more fabric than you might think. Only have someone do it if they have done one before. Pay a little extra and get it done correctly. To answer your question, 700-800 isn't to much to pay if its done correctly. Where do you live?

ReplyQuote
Modern Millie
(@modern-millie)
Trusted Member
07/09/2011 8:00 pm  

San Diego, OC or LA womb upholsterers?
Eames Junkie, would you mind sharing where you had your womb reupholstered in San Diego? I will have to get mine done soon and was quoted nearly $1400 for womb plus ottoman - NOT including 10 yards of fabric - from a reputable placein LA.
Also need to reupholster some Frankl v-backed chairs which seem like they could be tricky (quoted nearly $400/chair, again not including fabric....).
I've been googling around but would appreciate any recommendations from DA-ites in southern california.

ReplyQuote
fcresenc
(@fcresenc)
07/09/2011 8:42 pm  

nyc is so expensive
i was considering buying an old beat up womb chair and ottoman set with the black metal frame and getting it redone. i know someone who works at knoll and they recommend using this guy named sal at a place called prestige furniture and design. apparently he's the "go-to guy" when it comes to having it done right. everything's hand sewn.
this obviously comes at a price though. i got quoted $2100 for full reupholstery of chair and ottoman in classic boucle.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
07/09/2011 9:46 pm  

Warrigal
In San Diego, call Lalo Valdes: 619 232-3610.

ReplyQuote
Modern Millie
(@modern-millie)
Trusted Member
07/09/2011 10:08 pm  

Fastfwd
Thank you! I will definitely give Lalo a call.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
07/09/2011 10:09 pm  

womb chair
Re-upholstering Saarinen's womb chair by Knoll is more involved and not as easy as recovering other chairs. If the foam has dried up, it will need to be replaced and Knoll has machines that forms the foam for their chairs and most re-upholstery shops do not have access to this, it will have to be hand shaped/sculpted. Also, if successful in replacing the foam, there will be a lot of very good hand stitching involved guided with a very good eye in design in putting back the upholstery to look right.

ReplyQuote
Modern Millie
(@modern-millie)
Trusted Member
07/09/2011 10:13 pm  

replacing foam
If the foam on my womb is still ok, do you know if it's possible to replace only the upholstery? I'm assuming my chair is from the 1980s or beyond.
The foam is soft and comfortable, but the (white, cotton-ish) fabric is badly stained, shredded on the arms, and sagging in the back.
(Lalo would probably know the answer to this though - saw an egg chair he reupholstered on Boomerang for Modern and it looked nice from the pictures).

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register