Design Addict

Cart

Restoring Eames Sid...

Restoring Eames Sidechairs - Alternative for Penetrol?  

RSS

supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
05/09/2012 10:50 pm  

I purchased a set of four Off-White and one Orange Fiberglas Sidechairs. Visually, they are in a very good condition although they're quite matte already BUT after sitting on them for a while your clothes are full of little shiny fibers! Seems like the chairs need a new coat of whatever.
If found a few guides using PENETROL. First, it isn't available in Germany. Some guides say you can use OWATROL instead. But Owatrol makes a lot of products so which one is the right?
As second I've read PENETROL/OWATROL isn't that good for white chairs as they may turn yellow. So how can I restore them properly and make them "non-fiber-losing" again?

claus (DE)
(@claus-de)
Noble Member
06/09/2012 9:54 pm  

polytrol and
owatrol farbauffrischer are exactly the same thing, look at the picture.
if your shells' color is "parchment" you don't need to worry at all as they yellow over the years anyway and polytrol won't harm them. I've tried it on two of mine.
As an alternative you might as well give them a clear-coat. that will seal the fibres.

ReplyQuote
supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
07/09/2012 1:25 am  

Owatrol / OxiClean / Reproduction Bases ?
Thank you very much! What exactly do you mean by "clear coat", what kind of product?
But well, as the chairs aren't really white I could then use Owatrol. I think parchment describes it very well.
Claus, as you seem very experienced, what can I use instead of OxiClean Laundry Spray (as used in the Plastolux-Guide) for cleaning them first?
I'm planning to replace the ugly DSS bases with Walnut Dowel Bases. I found two manufacturers who are delivering to Germany. The well known Modern Conscience (USA) and then Eamesparts.com (NL) - Can anyone say something about their quality?

ReplyQuote
supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
11/09/2012 11:52 am  

Anyone?
Anyone?

ReplyQuote
Bob_the_Builder
(@bob_the_builder)
11/09/2012 11:41 pm  

from my personal experience
I ordered 2 bases, epoxy and mountings from Modern Conscience. It took just around 4 week to deliver to Switzerland; everything was high quality.
I also used Penetrol to restore the surface of the shells.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register